Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "We’ll go along to the pierrots tonight", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

Tea was over and Mr. Stevens had pushed back his chair and stretched out his legs.

“I tell you what! We’ll go along to the pierrots tonight—after supper.”

Was there a demon of punishment that hovered over those with guilty secrets?—that waited its chance to dig its fingers into the delicate tissues of deception and tear them apart? Or was it possible that her father had guessed the truth, and done this to thwart her—possibly to save her? But as she looked at him she could see no shadow behind his eyes—just a smile of pleasure at offering a happy evening to his children and his wife—

- R. C. Sherriff, The Fortnight in September, Chapter 23

This is a novel published in 1931, which describes a fortnight in September in which an English family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mary, Dick, and Ernie go on a holiday. One one evening, when Mary had arranged with her friend to go for a stroll along the beach, her father suggested that the whole family should go to the pierrots.

In this part, I wonder what this underlined expression means.
Would that mean that they would attend a circus where pierrots are present...? (Though this is just my guess. :D)

In case this might be helpful, here is another instance where "pierrots" appear in this novel, and this time, it is "pierrots piano":

Long hours of cricket in the baking sun: arms and faces turning from pink to scarlet—scarlet to indian brown: invigorating plunges in the sea—placid floating on the surface with toes just sticking up into the breeze: pleasant lounging in cool cake shops with feet sprawled out: boisterous buffetings on the pier and silent evening rambles into the sunset—mixed together with the jingle of the pierrots piano, the Bandmaster’s baton, and the cry of gulls; smoothly linked by drowsy hours of shade.

So I wonder what "go along to the pierrots" might mean. o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe we'll find out once they get there.
😜

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They will go to a pierrot show.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to see more images of pierrot shows,

Last edited:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel, @5jj and @Rover_KE,

Thank you very much for the explanations and the links!
Oh, so they are going to the pierrots show!
It was hard to find out what it was, because they did not go to the "pierrots" after all, because Mary rejected the plan. :D

I truly appreciate your help. :)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
here is another instance where "pierrots" appear in this novel, and this time, it is "pierrots piano":
This seems to be a printing error--there should be a possessive apostrophe after "pierrots".
... the pierrots' piano ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Tarheel, @5jj and @Rover_KE,

Thank you very much for the explanations and the links!
Oh, so they are going to the pierrots show!
It was hard to find out what it was, because they did not go to the "pierrots" after all, because Mary rejected the plan. :D

I truly appreciate your help. :)
Probably the most natural way of saying that:

Mary said she didn't want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.