Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
France
Could someone please assist me with the following email?

We came across an incidence on your property in which four panels were cracked as a consequence of two dropped stones from the house. Because this situation was not our fault, we are compelled to charge you for four extra panels. Fortunately, no one was below the stones, thus the items restricted the harm.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could someone please assist me with the following email?

We came across an incidence on At your property, we have discovered that in which four panels were have been cracked as a consequence result of two stones being dropped stones on them from the house. Because this situation was not our fault, We have no liability in this situation, so we are compelled to will charge you for four extra panels.
Fortunately, no one was below the stones, thus the items restricted the harm. Unnecessary.
Are you certain that "dropped" is the word you need? Is it possible that the stones fell? In order to know that they were dropped by a person, you'd have to have CCTV evidence.

Joj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
France
Are you certain that "dropped" is the word you need? Is it possible that the stones fell? In order to know that they were dropped by a person, you'd have to have CCTV evidence.
you are correct It fell rather than dropped.
I need your help with something:

What is the term that means I'm not blaming him? I heard that from someone, but I can't remember what he said. It's comparable to " not putting finger on him."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are right that they fell and didn't drop.
You don't have to say you're not blaming somebody for something unless they bring it up.

I don't see what there is to blame them for. (There is no reason blame should enter the discussion.)

Joj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
France
The client believes I am blaming the site consultant, therefore she responded by claiming it is not his responsibility.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are correct. It They fell rather than were dropped.
I need your help with something:

What is the term that means I'm not blaming him? I heard that it from someone, but I can't remember what he said. It's comparable to "not putting finger on him".
Note my corrections above.
You can say "I'm not pointing fingers at ..." to mean you're not blaming them but that's rather casual for what should be a formal email.
The client believes I am blaming the site consultant, therefore she responded by claiming it is not his responsibility.
I don't understand this at all. Where did the client get the idea that you were blaming the site consultant? Also, if she (the client) is already saying it's not his (the site consultant's) responsibility, there's no reason for you to mention blame at all.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The client believes I am blaming the site consultant. Therefore she responded by claiming it is not his responsibility.
There is nothing to be blamed for. A couple of stones happened to fall and damage one or more solar panels. It was an accident. Nobody is at fault. Therefore, nobody is to blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joj

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can pinpoint the cause of a problem. You can't pinpoint a person as being culpable of something. You still haven't answered our repeated question - why do you need to talk about blame at all? The client isn't blaming the site manager. You've explained that the problem was caused by falling stones.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Blame/blaming" is not a good word to use for official letters or with clients. You can say you blame someone for something or put the blame on someone but it is better to say, "you hold someone responsible for something." Ultimately, what matters is who is paying/footing the costs. In this case, it is your client. I believe the site consultant is employed by your client, so there's not point blaming him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.