[Grammar] We can't find a better present so we must choose this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Sentence 1 is one of the sentences in Em Hoc Gioi Tieng Anh Lop 11 by Dai Loi. Are both of the following sentences correct when we use must and have to? They have different meanings or just one sentence is correct.

1. We can't find a better present so we must choose this one.
  2. We can't find a better present so we have to choose this one.

Last edited:
Sentence 1 is one of the sentences in Em Hoc Gioi Tieng Anh Lop 11 by Dai Loi. Are both of the following sentences correct when we use must and have to? They have different meanings or just one sentence is correct.

1. We can't find a better present, so we must choose this one.
  2. We can't find a better present, so we have to choose this one.

You can use either one.

At least in my variety of English there is no difference beteeen 1 and 2, either in meaning or register.

They mean the same to me. I can't imagine actually saying either of them. I rarely say "must" (in this kind of context) in an informal or casual setting.

I'd say "We can't find/haven't found a better present so we'll have to get this one".

2. We can't find a better present, so we must choose this one.

Sentence 1 means the speaker think that it's necessary to choose the best present meanwhile sentence 2 means the situation forces the speaker to choose the present. It's like the difference between must (order from the speaker) and have to (order from someone or something else). Is it right?

Google Translate renders that as 'I Learn English English Lop'.

What does that mean?
It means I do well in English - Grade 11. I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentence 1 means the speaker thinks that it's necessary to choose the best present. Meanwhile sentence 2 means the situation forces the speaker to choose the present. It's like the difference between must (order from the speaker) and have to (order from someone or something else). Is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] this [STRIKE]right[/STRIKE]correct?

You have the exact same sentence listed twice. If you are referring to your original two sentences, then no, they both mean the same in this context.

The situation forces them to take the available present option, because there is no better option for a present.

These two sentences are identical!

Skrej noticed that.

Skrej noticed that.

I realise that now. Initially, I thought that the sentences below the two sentences in question inside the quote box in Skrej's response were his/her comments on the two sentences and made it look as if they were different. I hadn't realised they were the OP's comments but with corrections.

You have the exact same sentence listed twice. If you are referring to your original two sentences, then no, they both mean the same in this context.

The situation forces them to take the available present option, because there is no better option for a present.
I'm sorry for that mistake. I should have used have to in sentence 2. You mean that we only use have to in this situation, don't you? Must is incorrect in meaning, isn't it?

Son Ho, please note that your comments should be written below the quotes — not above them.

Last edited:
You mean that we only use have to in this situation, don't you? Must is incorrect in meaning, isn't it?

How can you think that after reading these opinions?

Tarheel: You can use either one.
probus: At least in my variety of English there is no difference between 1 and 2, either in meaning or register.
emsr2d2: They mean the same to me. I can't imagine actually saying either of them. I rarely say "must" (in this kind of context) in an informal or casual setting.
Skrej: V If you are referring to your original two sentences, then no, they both mean the same in this context.

I have read all of these comments. I just would like to know exactly what the same meaning of the two sentence is. It is an order from the speaker or the others.

There is a need/obligation for the people involved to choose 'this one'. This need/obligation stems from the situation - there isn't a better one.

There is a need/obligation for the people involved to choose 'this one'. This need/obligation stems from the situation - there isn't a better one.

Could you please add more information to the two original sentences in order that we must use must in sentence 1 and have to in sentence 2 and they can't be interchangeable?

That is not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back