Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "heroic efforts" here include "staying at home, physical distancing..."?

---------------------------
Sam Harris liked
Paul Graham 21h:
One thing the coronavirus is making clear is that if we do by heroic efforts manage to put the brakes on anthropogenic climate change, there will be lots of people who say "See, it was never a problem."

Fortunately as a parent I'm used to this.

You have highlighted the wrong words. You didn't need to highlight do as it is emphatic. It refers to the verb 'manage' here. You can read about the emphatic use of do here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv298.shtml

Perhaps, 'by heroic efforts' should be put into commas (but wait for native speakers to say what they think).
As for 'heroic efforts', I think it's about the efforts people make to stop the climate change.

I am a Non-NEST (Non-Native English Speaking Teacher)

Last edited:
Yes, it should be set off by commas. But this is Twitter and every character counts.

No, this has nothing to do with staying at home or social distancing. It's about measures to slow climate change.

One thing the coronavirus is making clear is that ifwe do, by heroic efforts,manage to put the brakes on anthropogenic climate change, there will be lots of people who say "See, it was never a problem."

Yes, it should be set off by commas. But this is Twitter and every character counts.
Including commas!

If he can afford to stick in anthropogenic, he can afford to stick in a couple of commas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back