We should receive your documents within thirty days before the date of joining otherw

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I apologise for posting this kind of question again but it has been bothering me for some time so I have been trying to know the correct way to say what I want to say.

We should receive your documents within thirty days before the date of joining otherwise you will be disqualified.

Please check my sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If we do not receive the documents from you within thirty days of joining, you will be disqualified.

You have been reminded to use "within ... of".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tufguy, go back and read all the comments on your previous thread on the same topic. At least twice in that thread, you were told that "within ... before" is wrong.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, go back and read all the comments on your previous thread on the same topic. At least twice in that thread, you were told that "within ... before" is wrong.

But I am confused about the scenario where I have to talk about the days before the date when a particular thing happens like admission, joining etc.

"Within thirty days of joining" means within thirty days after one has joined. Am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, OK, this is a different scenario. If I have read it correctly, you must submit your documents at least thirty days before the date you join (the thing you're joining is not clear). Is that right?

Today's date: 13th July
Date you will join this unspecified thing: 1st September
Date by which "they" must receive your documents: 1st August (30 days before 1st September)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ah, OK, this is a different scenario. If I have read it correctly, you must submit your documents at least thirty days before the date you join (the thing you're joining is not clear). Is that right?

Today's date: 13th July
Date you will join this unspecified thing: 1st September
Date by which "they" must receive your documents: 1st August (30 days before 1st September)

But I want to say that there is a time span of thirty days during which documents should be received(it doesn't matter whether they are received on 1st of August or 29th of August).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I want to say that there is a time span of thirty days during which the documents should be received.

It has to matter when they are received. (Or I don't know English.)
:roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But I want to say that there is a time span of thirty days during which documents should be received(it doesn't matter whether they are received on 1st of August or 29th of August).

In that case you should specify the dates:
1. We must receive your documents between August 1st and August 30th.

An alternative is:
2. We must receive your documents in the thirty days leading up to your joining date.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In that case you should specify the dates:
1. We must receive your documents between August 1st and August 30th.

An alternative is:
2. We must receive your documents in the thirty days leading up to your joining date.

So, for the past tense can I say "We should have received your documents in thirty days leading up to your joining date. But we didn't receive your documents so you are disqualified"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, for the past tense can I say "We should have received your documents in the thirty days leading up to your joining date. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, we didn't receive your documents in that time period so you are disqualified"?

Note my corrections above. I don't know whether "disqualified" is the word you're looking for because I don't know what the context is. What is the person joining?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections above. I don't know whether "disqualified" is the word you're looking for because I don't know what the context is. What is the person joining?

A company to work with.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So you're talking about their start date, not their joining date. I thought it was a course or a club.

Sometime before August 1st:
You are due to start work here on 1st September. Please note that we must receive your documents (of course, the person would need to know what documents!) between August 1st and August 31st. If we do not receive them, we will withdraw our offer of employment.

At 5pm on 31st August:
In order to commence your employment with us on 1st September, you were required to submit your documents to us between August 1st and close of play today. We have not received your documents so unfortunately we have to withdraw our offer of employment. Please do not report here for work on 1st September.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So you're talking about their start date, not their joining date. I thought it was a course or a club.

Sometime before August 1st:
You are due to start work here on 1st September. Please note that we must receive your documents (of course, the person would need to know what documents!) between August 1st and August 31st. If we do not receive them, we will withdraw our offer of employment.

At 5pm on 31st August:
In order to commence your employment with us on 1st September, you were required to submit your documents to us between August 1st and close of play today. We have not received your documents so unfortunately we have to withdraw our offer of employment. Please do not report here for work on 1st September.

If I was talking about a course or club?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In that case, I'd refer to it as the first week or the first meeting.

So it should not be the "Date of joining". Am I correct?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In that case, I'd refer to it as the first week or the first meeting.

We should have received your documents in thirty days leading up to your first week. But we didn't receive your documents so you are disqualified". Is it correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you can use disqualified. Or you can say:

Because you didn't submit the required documents on time we are unable to hire you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tufguy, what is the actual purpose of this thread? Who are you writing this to? Are you actually talking about someone who is starting a new job or someone joining a course or a club? We've asked you before to limit your questions to real-life situations.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, what is the actual purpose of this thread? Who are you writing this to? Are you actually talking about someone who is starting a new job or someone joining a course or a club? We've asked you before to limit your questions to real-life situations.

The person is starting a course.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know whether "disqualified" is the word you're looking for because I don't know what the context is. What is the person joining?

A company to work with.

The person is starting a course.

Make your mind up, tufguy! Your first answer to my question was that the person was starting work for a company. Your second response said they were starting a course. Is this a real-life situation or are you just making up answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.