Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
When here from a lower-midle clas guy " You was great! and We was going there". Does that mean one lacks grammar or one's being informal?

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

Yes, I think so.
Unless it's a joke (but I don't see why it should be that funny.)

Cheers!

I would say that your first conclusion is correct---inadequate grammar.

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

Yes, I think so.
Unless it's a joke (but I don't see why it should be that funny.)

Cheers!
Sorry I ment a lower middle class.

What does it matter for you? If his grammar is that bad then even informal style would be a lame excuse.

What does it matter for you? If his grammar is that bad then even informal style would be a lame excuse.

I believe teachers are here to give a word of advice and not to reproach.
But you Sir/Madam kind of reproach me for tryig to clarify that.

On top of that, "What does it matter to you?" not " What does it matter for you" that's what I gall grammar being incorrect.

I believe teachers are here to give a word of advice and not to reproach.
But you Sir/Madam kind of reproach me for tryig to clarify that.

On top of that, "What does it matter to you?" not " What does it matter for you" that's what I gall grammar being incorrect.

Sorry for misspelling. I ment call.

When here from a lower-midle clas guy " You was great! and We was going there". Does that mean one lacks grammar or one's being informal?

Did you hear those from native speakers of English?

Did you hear those from native speakers of English?

Yes. From an Afroamerican cop. Was it what they call "ebonics" not sure about the spelling. I mean the use of the English language adopted by Afroamericans.

Some Londoners speak like that. 'We was on this bus, when, all of a sudden ...' 'you was marvellous darlin'' I speak like that.

If people speak like that, then the grammar is wrong, not the people. Grammar is a description of how people speak. Grammars are not always adequate.

Yes. From an Afroamerican cop. Was it what they call "ebonics" not sure about the spelling. I mean the use of the English language adopted by Afroamericans.

Yes, it was probably his dialect, but a policeman should speak better than that. At least while on duty.

You can't expect native English speakers to use correct grammar all the time.

In rapid, casual, informal conversation with people you know will understand you, local dialect takes over and syntax goes out of the window.

I could never convince my own mother that 'I were furious' and 'We was late' were incorrect, but I always knew what she meant.

Surely the same applies in everybody else's native language?

Rover

Surely the same applies in everybody else's native language?

Rover

Yes, it does. However, it is slightly different as eg in French if you ever say "we was", it would make no sense. We have our wrong grammar (eg 'j'sais po' instead of 'je ne sais pas') but it still makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back