Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

What does the sentence "we will be affectionate to each and every human to our maximum capacity for affection" mean?

Does the sentence mean:

1. Say there are only three humans in this world - A, B, and C.
The sentence is saying, we will be affectionate to A with our maximum amount of affection, we will be affectionate to B with our maximum amount of affection, and we will be affectionate to C with our maximum amount of affection. This sentence also implies that the amount of affection we will have for each of A, B, and C are equal (which is equal to our maximum capacity for affection).

OR

2. The sentence mean that if we sum up the amount of affection we have for A, B and C, they adds up to our maximum capacity for affection.

?? Which is correct?

Thank you,

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Meaning of this sentence?

The sentence is ambiguous. Either interpretation could be the author's intended meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
jdschieder, I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases you are querying. Such generic titles as "What does this mean?" or similar are no help when we might be trying to differentiate between threads.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's even harder to guess because we don't know the capacity for affection of the non-human species that is speaking.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This sentence also implies that the amount of affection we will have for each of A, B, and C are equal (which is equal to our maximum capacity for affection).

I don't think it has to be equal- I wouldn't feel the same affection for a stranger that I would for a sibling, but I would try to treat strangers with the same degree of affection- the maximum I could feel for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.