Well, the store's name is on one side of the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a TOEIC test]

Man: Tanya, when did we start selling these reusable grocery bags? Has it been two weeks? I want to see our customers using them to carry the groceries home from our store, but nobody is buying them.

Woman: Well, they are rather simple. They are in plain colors and only have the store's name on them.

Man: What can we do to make them more interesting?

Woman: Well, the store's name is on one side of the bag. What if we asked some local artists to design images to put on the other side?

Man: I like that. I'll get an ad in the local newspaper about this, asking any interested artists to contact us.

[Source]
----
1. Unlike the red text, which is in the plural, the blue text (the bag) is using the singular. Why? Can the following apply to this case?

[From the Practical English Usage 3rd 68.2]

generalisations with singular countable nouns
Sometimes we talk about things in general by using the with a singular countable noun.

Schools should concentrate more on the child and less on exams.

2. However, I think both forms (the bag and the bags) can be used in the case. What do you think?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In her second sentence, the woman is thinking about the design of the bag, as a single thing. Although there are many bags, there's only one single design. In the other sentences, they're talking about the multitude of products, so they use the plural.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't space between different parts of the same conversation, but apparently that's the way they do things there. Also, I would put (or place) an ad in the local newspaper.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In her second sentence, the woman is thinking about the design of the bag, as a single thing. Although there are many bags, there's only one single design.
Do you think this version would work?

Well, the store's name is on one side of the bags.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As I said, she's talking about one design, consisting of two sides. One of the sides could include the store's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.