What are some of those weird questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've been a regular member of an online chatroom. A native English speaker (female) usually join our conversation. Since the chatroom is run by a Chinese company, there are also many Chinese participants. I've heard many people ask this native English speaker questions. Chinese participants are curious about her and always have many questions for her. Today I asked her a question:

What are some of those weird questions you have been asked when you're here?

She said:

"You have a Chinese face why do you speak English?"

I wonder if my italic question is natural?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The language of your question is OK, though I don't understand why you are asking it. I assume you have seen the questions in the chatroom.
Her response should have a full stop or semi-colon after 'face'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I assume you have seen the questions in the chatroom.
She goes there very often while I go there from time to time. We use voice communication instead of written communication to chat with each other.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been I'm a regular member contributor of to an online chatroom. A native English speaker (female) usually joins our conversations. Since the chatroom is run by a Chinese company, there are also many Chinese participants. I've heard many people ask this native English speaker questions. Chinese participants are curious about her and always have many questions for her. Today I asked her a question:

What are some of those weird questions you have been asked when you're here?

She said:

"You have a Chinese face. Why do you speak English?"

I wonder if my italic question is natural.

You can't be a regular member of a chatroom. You're either a member or you're not.
"A native speaker" is singular so you need "joins".
Your question was grammatically correct but the shortened version is more natural.
I find the first half of her response rather unnatural. We usually say "You look Chinese", not "You have a Chinese face".
Your sentence starting "I wonder" isn't a question so it should finish with a full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.