What did she say ? (a listening problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhDxSSb0Kk

At around 0:11, she said I've definitely let you in on some of the secrets over ? my second channel.

Her accent is very british and her articulation is brilliant. She seems to have a non-rhotic accent and so I was thinking whether she said "over to" and 'to' being weakened to a schwa?

Many Thanks if you can help

"Over on my second channel". We use "on" with TV channels and radio stations.

THANKS A LOT!
English listening is very difficult as I guess more often than not listeners have to fill in the gaps with their own knowledge of the language system?
Thanks again

May I also ask how would you describe her accent?
- Very british?
- Posh?
- London like?

She's certainly unmistakably British. She's not posh but she is very well-spoken most of the time. Initially, I thought she was from somewhere in the south-east of the country, possibly London or the Home Counties (Kent, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey). However, I listened again a little more carefully and heard a very slight twang to some of the "r" sounds at the ends of words. I did a bit of digging (OK, I read the comments under the video) and discovered that she's from Bath, Wiltshire. So I was right about the south of the country but she's more south-west. She does not have a strong Wiltshire accent, though. My grandmother was from Wiltshire and a lot of what she said was incomprehensible to me when I was young!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back