Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

1. Advanced learners and all Americans might be interested in what I have just read.

2. According to Ms. Holly Hudson, an American comedienne long resident in the United Kingdom, sometimes British people say things that non-British people misunderstand.

3. Here are a few examples from the article posted this morning on the Daily Mail website.

a. "You must come for dinner sometime" actually means "Please don't come to dinner."

b. "It's probably all my fault" actually means "It's entirely your fault."

c. "With the greatest respect, I hear what you're saying" actually means "You really are an idiot."

d. "Honestly, it doesn't matter" actually means the opposite.

Of course, I do not know whether Ms. Hudson's comments are accurate, for in my 84 years, I have never left California, let alone visited the United Kingdom.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've seen a few of these humorous claims made about Brits meaning the opposite of what we say. Sometimes, it's absolutely true. Sometimes, it's not. It's generally true that we try not to offend or upset people, particularly in a professional setting. It certainly can't be said that the sentences in your post always mean the given alternative.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
NOT A TEACHER

c. "With the greatest respect, I hear what you're saying" actually means "You really are an idiot."

"Bless your heart" plays a similar role in the southern dialect of American English. Occasionally it truly means "God bless you" but usually its meaning is the same as c. above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will concede that starting with "With all due respect, ..." is a good indicator that the speaker is about to disagree and isn't necessarily going to show any respect at all to the other person's point of view.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My dear The Parser,

With the greatest respect, I hear what you're saying. I apologise on behalf of my compatriots for any misunderstanding caused—it's probably entirely our fault.

You must come to Britain some time.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Bless your heart" plays a similar role in the southern dialect of American English. Occasionally it truly means "God bless you" but usually its meaning is the same as c. above.
My very Jewish grandmother used to say: He/She/They/You should live and be happy — meaning: He/She/They/You should drop dead.

I've seen lots of very funny examples of British opposite-speak, too. I came across one I like so much that I use it all the time myself: Instead of saying "You're wrong," I now like "Up to a point."

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Russian Federation
From what I've understood, unusual politeness in a sentence is a way to "sweeten" the rudeness of what's coming next, so that it doesn't sound too conflictual. The more polite the sentence sounds in theory, the worse your interlocutor's opinion of you is.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With all due respect, I cannot fully agree with you there = I think you're an utter moron.

The more sugared the pill, the more bitter the contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.