Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
While I was reading Michael Dell's autobiography, Play Nice But Win, I encounterd the following sentences.
They are too abstract for a non-native speaker to understand, especially the bolded phrases.
This is from his coleague's interview with some magazine abot how great Michael Dell is as an entrepreneur.
Could you rephrase in straightforward way?

====
He said "What Michael Dell does, is so natural to him and flows so spontaneously from him that it [looks] as if he takes a low-key approach.
He has so clear a vision of where he is headed that he can rise above the background noise and avoid the pitfalls that typically take entrepreneurs down.
=====

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While I was reading Michael Dell's autobiography, Play Nice But Win, I encountered the following sentences. They are too abstract for a non-native speaker me to understand, especially the bolded phrases parts in bold.
This is from his colleague's interview with some magazine about how great Michael Dell is as an entrepreneur.
Could you rephrase in the following excerpts in a straightforward way?

====
He said "What Michael Dell does, is so natural to him and flows so spontaneously from him that it [looks] as if he takes a low-key approach.
He has so clear a vision of where he is headed that he can rise above the background noise and avoid the pitfalls that typically take entrepreneurs down.
=====
Note my corrections above.
Remember to italicise book titles.

The first sentence simply means that he looks like he's not making any real effort.
The second means he can ignore problems and distractions that cause problems for other entrepreneurs because he is entirely focused on his own vision/plan.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I've changed 'does' to 'do' in your thread title.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also note that, in future, your question should appear only in the main body of your post. The title of this thread should have included some/all of the words/sentences you're asking us about.

Status
Not open for further replies.