What do we call the words that fit only in the middle 2 of the 4 English writing lines?

atiq124

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
English writing is taught on 4 lines. The words like mouse, cease, crease, ease, enormous, season, error, even, euro, sauce, weave, wave, zoom, etc. fit in the middle two lanes only. Is there any name for these kind of words?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm entirely intrigued by your post, mainly because I don't understand any of it. What do you mean by "English writing is taught on four lines"? Four lines of what? Why did you change "lines" to "lanes" in the second sentence.

atiq124

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
I'm entirely intrigued by your post, mainly because I don't understand any of it. What do you mean by "English writing is taught on four lines"? Four lines of what? Why did you change "lines" to "lanes" in the second sentence.
sorry for the confusion, the video link shows what I mean buy English Writing in 4 lines,
Lane is mistake, it should be two lines. thanks for correcting.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think this "four lines" business must be peculiar to the school you attend. I have not previously heard of it. Please elaborate on what it means. (Cross-posted with @emsr2d2).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The video was no help.

atiq124

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
This is how we learn writing English in most of the Asian countries, never mind. Let me put it in another way. Actually I am after the words that contain only a, c, e, m, m, o, r, s, u, v, w, x because they all have same height when your are writing them whereas other letters like b, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, p, q, t, y, are either higher or lower than previously mentioned letters when you write them together... I hope I am not confusing it more.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your hope is in vain.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no word for these that I know of. The part of the letter that goes up to the top line, as in b, d, g, etc, is called the ascender; the part that goes down to the bottom line, as in g, j, p, etc, is called the descender. Not many English people use, or even know, these words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, so now I at least understand that you were talking about handwriting English letters. When you said "English writing", I thought you simply meant learning how to construct texts in English!
I'm one of the people that's never heard of the terms Piscean used.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The kind of writing you are talking about is called cursive script. Many North American schools stopped teaching it after computers became common. As a result a lot of young adults can neither write nor read cursive.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I learnt to write in the early 1950s, we made our first attempts on slates (really!). When we moved on to paper, we had the four lines printed on the paper.
The kind of writing you are talking about is called cursive script.
Not for us. We started off, at between 4.75 and 6, with learning to write the individual letters that we see in post #3. When we moved from infant school to junior school, at about 7, we learn 'joined-up writing' which I knew later as 'cursive script'.

(And yes, I do remember gas lamps in school, and lamplighters in our street. No, I don't remember Queen Victoria dying.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I had to google this.

In typography, those letters (we're talking about letters, not words) that use either descenders or ascenders are generally classed as 'extenders'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Like Piscean, "cursive writing" for me is "joined-up writing". Just learning to write the individual letters separately didn't have a name when I was at school.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In typography, those letters (we're talking about letters, not words) that use either descenders or ascenders are generally classed as 'extenders'.

Correction: It's the parts of the letters that are known as 'extenders', not the letters themselves.

atiq124

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
I had to google this.

That is brilliant. I am really glad to learn about descenders and ascenders; and fully understand them. That indicates that there are 3rd type of letters that are not part of these two types, like a, e, o, u, v, w, x. Is there any terminology for them? That is the main question. I have also learnt about x-height and cap height terms in letter types.

My further search shows that these letters could be called Medians or x-height letters but not sure.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Read post #14, please.