Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I come to learn that it figuratively means to criticise someone harshly, but i saw it used in the context of fighting and attacking as “rip into someone” . Also, i saw it used with “along” as an intransitive verb indicating direction of movement.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]come to learn[/STRIKE] have learned that, figuratively, it [STRIKE]figuratively[/STRIKE] means to criticise someone harshly, but I [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] have seen it used in the context of fighting and attacking, as “rip into someone”. Also, I [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] have seen it used with “along” as an intransitive verb indicating direction of movement.

Please note my corrections above. Remember to capitalise the word "I" every time you write/type it.

We certainly use "to rip into someone" in BrE, to mean "to criticise someone harshly", as you said. I don't recall seeing "rip along" but if you can provide the full sentence in which you saw it, that would help a lot.

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
We certainly use "to rip into someone" in BrE, to mean "to criticise someone harshly", as you said.

That's common in American English, too.

Using "rip into someone" to describe fighting is unusual but could make sense, especially if an intensifier was added ("he f**king ripped into his sparring partner") or if certain kinds of physical injury resulted (making "rip" a bit more literal).

This is interesting for me to observe, because the source/intention of using the "to rip into someone" expression when talking about criticizing someone harshly is to evoke violence (that's what makes it sound harsh). It's similar in tone and wording (though not exactly in meaning) to "he tore him apart [e.g., in the debate]." So the fact that it feels at least unusual to use these expressions when describing actual violence is interesting. But the exact phrasing matters a lot. E.g., "Tear him apart!" is a demand for violence.

rezaaa, for idioms and other expressions like these, we really need more context (at least the entire sentence) in order to analyze and explain them accurately.

Last edited:

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's common in American English, too.

Using "rip into someone" to describe fighting is unusual but could make sense, especially if an intensifier was added ("he f**king ripped into his sparring partner") or if certain kinds of physical injury resulted (making "rip" a little more literal).

This is interesting for me to observe, because the source/intention of using the "to rip into someone" expression when talking about criticizing someone harshly is to evoke violence (that's what makes it sound harsh). It's similar in tone and wording (though not exactly in meaning) to "he tore him apart [e.g., in the debate]." So the fact that it feels at least unusual to use these expressions when describing actual violence is interesting. But the exact phrasing matters a lot. E.g., "Tear him apart!" is a demand for violence.

rezaaa, for idioms and other expressions like these, we really need more context (at least the entire sentence) in order to analyze and explain them accurately.
I have seen it in a video game review. “
Despite a sense of trudging through molasses, Village is tuned so that enemies also approach slowly and cautiously, so dealing with them comes together like a standoff that has you judging their moves or hitting their weak points before they have a chance to get in close and rip into you.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...vil-village-review-shapeshifter/1900-6417672/ There are fierce, grasping enemies in the game that suddenly jump at you.

Last edited by a moderator:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Yes, you correctly judged that this describes violence rather than criticism. It is unusual phrasing but sounds completely clear and natural in context (a good combination in creative writing). As used here, it carries a connotation of sudden (and possibly brief) but all-out/brutal violence.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that context, it carries both a literal and figurative meaning. Figuratively, it just means to attack viciously. I am not a gamer, but I think the "enemies" in the Resident Evil franchise are mutated humans that have become crazed flesh-eating zombies or monsters, no? So in that context, they would literally rip into a person as a mode of attack.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So, as I mentioned in my first post, “rip” as an IT verb can mean to rush towards or to charge at someone. But now, I am wondering why the preposition into? (Though, I know it is used to indicate a moving thing hitting another thing.)

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
That's not right, at least for any of the sentences we've seen/written here. "Rip into" in this context means they directly assaulted your body (not rushed or charged), probably using their hands or close-combat weapons. And as Skrej pointed out, in the context of zombies/monsters/etc. it could carry an additional literal meaning of tearing your flesh with their hands/mouths.

Hopefully this also explains "into." They rip into your body using hands, weapons, etc. The meaning should be obvious if using a sword or literally tearing your body apart. But it works even with, e.g., brutal or rapid punches, where the attacker is hitting hard. Using "into" captures the feeling that they are not merely striking/damaging the surface.

Last edited:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Note that there is also the phrase "to rip on someone," which means to insult or criticize someone playfully.

Last edited:

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
But according to Merriam Webster dictionary, it can generally mean to rush headlong. (not in the context we discussed, though.)

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
But according to Merriam Webster dictionary, it can generally mean to rush headlong. (not in the context we discussed, though.)

I don't think I've heard that usage before, but yes, it's not surprising that a different context and/or slightly different phrasing could change the meaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.