Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The definitions in American Heritage, for example, include these senses: #1, “planned or accomplished together,” and #2, “deliberate and determined.” Similarly, Lexico (formerly Oxford Dictionaries Online) includes #1, “jointly arranged or carried out,” and #2, “done with great effort or determination.”

But still I don't understand the meaning of "concerted effort".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What exactly do you think you don't understand?

Peedeebee

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I think the dictionary definitions have some confusion, and if one does indeed give an answer "done with great effort" then that illustrates the confusion. The main definition seems to be " done by more than one person, and brought together". Look at the origin of words at the end of a dictionary entry. (Latin origins?)
However, I believe that in 2022 a concert, meaning a musical entertainment, may be a solo event just as much as an event by multiple performers.
I also believe that in Britain, loosely or colloquially, to make a concerted effort does mean simply to try very hard. This is possibly an error over decades, and perhaps confused with "concentrated". But it is used that way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The way I see "concerted effort" is a sincere and determined attempt to achieve your goal. It's about doing your best to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.