What does "eight-point-three days" mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline_3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I found this phrase "eight-point-three days" in the book and I don't know what does it mean. Should I understand it as "few days"? I'd appreciate help :)

I found this phrase "eight-point-three days" in the book and I don't know what does it mean. Should I understand it as "few days"? I'd appreciate help :)

All I can determine is it means 8.3 days, which is odd.

All I can determine is it means 8.3 days, which is odd.

Not if you're talking about averages.
Average number of days from order to delivery, average number of days of a typical vacation, etc.

Perhaps Caroline is asking about its literal meaning, which is "a total of eight days and three tenths of a day".

What is the context? What sort of book is it?

Well, I should have put the whole sentence here in the first place, but I forgot. Here it is:

"So, anyway, it would't be fair to start something with Josh when it would just crash and burn in approximately eight-point-three days or four dates, whitchever came first"

Should I understand it as not whole nine days? Something like "by the end of ninth day"?

Well, I should have put the whole sentence here in the first place, but I forgot. Here it is:

"So, anyway, it would't be fair to start something with Josh when it would just crash and burn in approximately eight-point-three days or four dates, whitchever came first"

Should I understand it as not whole nine days? Something like "by the end of ninth day"?

It just means a relatively short time.

Thank You for all the replies and clearing this up for me :)

Yes, the context is helpful. It appears to me that she just made up "8.3 days" to be facetious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back