What does 'make a career' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a dictionary, it says that 'pursue a career = try to make a successful career'. (https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/career)

What exactly does "make a career" [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] mean? [STRIKE]to make a career?[/STRIKE]

It means to successfully have a career doing something that's usually mentioned in the statement/dialogue.

Helen: Are you good at tennis?
Sarah: I'm pretty good. I'll never make a career of it but I've won some local tournaments!

John: Your daughter is a great artist!
Sam: Thanks. We're hoping she'll make a career of it.

The phrase is also used sarcastically when someone's taking an inordinately long time at a task: Are you going to finish cleaning up some day? I didn't want you to make a career of it!

It means to successfully have a career doing something that's usually mentioned in the statement/dialogue.

Helen: Are you good at tennis?
Sarah: I'm pretty good. I'll never make a career of it but I've won some local tournaments!

John: Your daughter is a great artist!
Sam: Thanks. We're hoping she'll make a career of it.

From the dialogues you gave, can I say that "make a career of something = make something become someone's career?"

From the dialogues you gave, can I say that "make a career of something = make something become someone's career?"
That's a good way to look at it.

Remember that it can also be used looking backward:

- He enjoyed cooking so much that he made a career of it.

- She never got to travel. She ended up making a career in banking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back