What does this gesture mean for English speaking people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
it could mean, among other things "And note this interesting point".

He raised a finger good is not good English. Ignore the crossed-out comment. I misread the question. Thanks, tzfujimino.

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think you misread the sentence, 5jj.

"... is He raised a finger good?"
:)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As 5jj pointed out, a raised index finger can have a variety of meanings. We'd need context to sort out which. It also depends on whether the finger is steady or wagging. In France certainly, and perhaps elsewhere in Europe, a wagged index finger means a grave error has been (or is about to be) made.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
it could mean, among other things "And note this interesting point".

He raised a finger good is not good English. Ignore the crossed-out comment. I misread the question. Thanks, tzfujimino.
So, is it OK if I write He raised a finger? Or should I write He raised his index finger lest a reader thinks that I'm talking about the vulgar middle-finger gesture?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It depends on the context in which you wish to use the sentence. Could you give us the sentence preceding and the one following your sentence?

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think simply saying: "raising a finger" would be close in a reader's imagination to giving somebody a finger, which, judging by the picture that you've linked to, is not what you're trying to say/imply.
Also, my takeaway from the picture would be that this person just had an idea, like a "Eureka!" moment.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
It depends on the context in which you wish to use the sentence. Could you give us the sentence preceding and the one following your sentence?
OK, here is some more context. Character A makes a suggestion. Character B agrees. Character A is excited. However, at that moment...

'But, only on these conditions,' Character B added, raising her index finger/a finger.

Then she proceeds to elaborate on the conditions.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As always, context is king, but with the facial expression in that picture, I'd take it as a warning. At least in the US, it's common to "wag" your index finger as a kind of warning. Usually it's accompanied by some kind of verbal interjection such as "nuh-uh" or "no-no-no" or various other negations.

However, sometimes people will just raise a finger when asking a question, or even when making a particular point.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It can be hard to tell what is intended from a still shot. However, I would say he is emphasizing that he is about to make a point.

Avu Ky

Member Type
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Sometimes it doesn't mean anything. Just a HABIT.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

Sometimes it doesn't mean anything. It's just a HABIT habit.

Please remember to write in complete sentences on the forum and don't use capital letters for whole words (except where appropriate) - it's the online equivalent of shouting.

I have added "Not a teacher" to your post. Please remember to add that yourself whenever you attempt to help another learner.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I have added "Not a teacher" to your post. Please remember to add that yourself whenever you attempt to help another learner.
As for me, I put it in my signature so that I don't have to add it every time, yet you still require me to add it every time. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.