[Vocabulary] what does "ultimate" mean here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohsenn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
South Korea
Dear all,
I am reading an article on spirituality. There is a term in that article which has been used in several places but as we do not have an equivalent for this complicated term in our language I really have problem in understanding the meaning of it. The term is Ultimate. The meanings of this term in the dictionary are: "final; extreme; greatest; fundamental; decisive". I really do not know which one applies to the term here. I have pasted three sentences of the text. You do not need to read all of them, I just tried to give more examples. I would appreciate it if you could help me understand the meaning of this term in this context. Also, does "concern" mean "worry" here?

Spirituality is the personal expression of ultimate concern. Tillich (1957) contended that the essence of religion, in the broadest and most inclusive sense, is the state of being ultimately concerned—having a “passion for the infinite,” a passion that is unparalleled in human motivation.

Spirituality has been defined as that which “involves ultimate and personal truths” (Wong, 1998, p. 364), and spirituality refers to how an individual “lives meaningfully with ultimacy, his or her response to the deepest truths of the universe” (Bregman & Thierman, 1995, p. 149).

Allport (1950) defined a mature religious sentiment as “a disposition to respond favorably…to objects or principles that the individual regards as of ultimate importance in his own life, and as having to do with what he regards as permanent or central in the nature of things”

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all,
I am reading an article on spirituality. There is a term in that article which has been used in several places but as we do not have an equivalent for this complicated term in our language I really have problem in understanding the meaning of it. The term is Ultimate. The meanings of this term in the dictionary are: "final; extreme; greatest; fundamental; decisive". I really do not know which one applies to the term here. I have pasted three sentences of the text. You do not need to read all of them, I just tried to give more examples. I would appreciate it if you could help me understand the meaning of this term in this context. Also, does "concern" mean "worry" here?

Spirituality is the personal expression of ultimate concern. Tillich (1957) contended that the essence of religion, in the broadest and most inclusive sense, is the state of being ultimately concerned—having a “passion for the infinite,” a passion that is unparalleled in human motivation.

Spirituality has been defined as that which “involves ultimate and personal truths” (Wong, 1998, p. 364), and spirituality refers to how an individual “lives meaningfully with ultimacy, his or her response to the deepest truths of the universe” (Bregman & Thierman, 1995, p. 149).

Allport (1950) defined a mature religious sentiment as “a disposition to respond favorably…to objects or principles that the individual regards as of ultimate importance in his own life, and as having to do with what he regards as permanent or central in the nature of things”
The dictionary definitions should be adequate. The "ultimate concern" of a religious person is their final destination or state. This might be expressed as being in the presence of God, becoming one with God, entering Nirvana .... It is the "fundamental, final, extreme" concern of the spiritual/religious person in the sense that it is the most important factor in their existence, since they believe it will be their last, and lasting, eternal state. (Not many ask themselves, "OK, I'm one with the Universe; what happens now?")

Mohsenn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you very much indeed. But still I cannot fully understand. You are apparently stating that concern here means "state, destination". So, ultimate concern means "final destination" which can be for example to draw closer to god.
I first need you to confirm my understanding if you don't mind, and second would like to let you know about my difficulty in understanding the connection between the word "concern" and "destination". Can you please let me know to what category the meaning of "concern" belongs here (based on Concise Oxford Thesaurus):

1- a voice full of concern: ANXIETY, worry, disquiet, apprehensiveness, unease, consternation.
2- his concern for others: SOLICITUDE, solicitousness, consideration, care, sympathy, regard.
2- housing is the concern of the council: RESPONSIBILITY, business, affair, charge, duty, job; province, preserve; problem, worry; informal pigeon, bag, bailiwick; Brit. informal lookout.
4- issues that are of concern to women: INTEREST, importance, relevance, significance.
5- Aboriginal concerns: AFFAIR, issue, matter, question, consideration.
6- a publishing concern: COMPANY, business, firm, organization, operation, corporation, establishment, house, office, agency; informal outfit, set-up.

with kind regards,

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Use dictionaries instead of thesauruses to find basic meanings.

Concern

–noun 4. something that relates or pertains to a person; business; affair: Law is the concern of lawyers.

5. a matter that engages a person's attention, interest, or care, or that affects a person's welfare or happiness: The party was no concern of his.

6. worry, solicitude, or anxiety: to show concern for someone in trouble.

7. important relation or bearing: This news is of concern to all of us.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1- a voice full of concern: ANXIETY, worry, disquiet, apprehensiveness, unease, consternation.
2- his concern for others: SOLICITUDE, solicitousness, consideration, care, sympathy, regard.
2- housing is the concern of the council: RESPONSIBILITY, business, affair, charge, duty, job; province, preserve; problem, worry; informal pigeon, bag, bailiwick; Brit. informal lookout.
4- issues that are of concern to women: INTEREST, importance, relevance, significance.
5- Aboriginal concerns: AFFAIR, issue, matter, question, consideration.
6- a publishing concern: COMPANY, business, firm, organization, operation, corporation, establishment, house, office, agency; informal outfit, set-up.

with kind regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.