What does "whose voice I can never hear" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The voice of a country, comprised of the voice of its Senate and the House of Representatives and the voice of the rest of people of it, can be heard no doubt. And yet, you say you can not hear?

Context:

Among the vicissitudes incident to life no event could have filled me with greater anxieties than that of which the notification was transmitted by your order, and received on the 14th day of the present month. On the one hand, I was summoned by my country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love, from a retreat which I had chosen with the fondest predilection, and, in my flattering hopes, with an immutable decision, as the asylum of my declining years—a retreat which was rendered every day more necessary as well as more dear to me by the addition of habit to inclination, and of frequent interruptions in my health to the gradual waste committed on it by time.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was summoned by my country,
whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love

You need to look at the entire phrase. It's a double negative. Every time he hears the "voice" of his country, he hears it with veneration and love. He can NOT hear the voice WITHOUT veneration and love.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need to look at the entire phrase. It's a double negative. Every time he hears the "voice" of his country, he hears it with veneration and love. He can NOT hear the voice WITHOUT veneration and love.

Thank you.
but with = without?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States