Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How do I learn advanced subject-verb agreement? (whether to choose "is" or "are") I know the basic rules but many of these examples are tricky to me. Of course I googled "subject-verb agreement" but the explanations don't seem comprehensive to me.

1. What I want IS/ARE five cars.
2. What I say and what I think IS/ARE my own affair.
3. What I say and do IS/ARE my own affair.
4. Jogging and swimming IS/ARE fun.
5. The only solution IS/ARE more frequent meetings.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Kjaadere Welcome to the forum.

You will note that I have left only five sentences in your post. You absolutely CANNOT ask us 90 questions! Also note that I have improved your thread title. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of the post. Use one of the sentences you're asking us to look at as the title.

Where did you find those 90 sentences? You must quote the source and author of any text that is not your own. Is this some kind of homework assignment?

Kjaadere

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think you misunderstood my question. I didn't ask you to solve these examples. It's a shame that you changed the title. It showed that I wanted to learn the subject-verb agreement and not get a solution.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@Kjaadere why don't you start by giving your own answers to the five remaining examples? Some of them are quite easy. However, we can't give answers unless and until you answer @emsr2d2's question about your source.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, it's subject -verb agreement, not object-verb agreement.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's a shame that you changed the title. It showed that I wanted to learn the subject-verb agreement and not get a solution.
The forum guidelines state "Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How do I learn advanced subject-verb agreement? (whether to choose "is" or "are") I know the basic rules but many of these examples are tricky to me.

There are no rules to follow. Agreement basically depends on whether you conceptualise the subject as a singularity or a plurality.

Jogging and swimming are fun. = I'm talking about two things.
Jogging and swimming is fun. = I'm talking about one thing.

If you want to look at any particular example, keep to asking about just one sentence at a time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you misunderstood my question.
I don't think I did.
I didn't ask you to solve these examples.
I know that. However, the obvious assumption by anyone reading that thread is that you were asking us for the correct option in each sentence.
It's a shame that you changed the title. It showed that I wanted to learn the subject-verb agreement and not get a solution.
I changed the title so that it follows the forum guidelines on titles. Your original title is now the opening sentence of your post so nothing was lost.

You still haven't told us where you found that long list of sentences.