Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What is the meaning of dry lump? When does it happen? Do you feel a dry lump when you are nervous?

I heard it on a program on TV. I don't have access to its link.

Does this make sense?

He was nervous during the job interview. He felt a dry lump in his throat and stammered when he answered their questions.

It's not a common phrase (in my opinion) but I would take it to mean that he felt a lump in his throat that also seemed to make his throat feel dry. I'm not sure describing it as a dry lump is particularly useful or natural but it's understandable.

It's not a common phrase (in my opinion) but I would take it to mean that he felt a lump in his throat that also seemed to make his throat feel dry. I'm not sure describing it as a dry lump is particularly useful or natural but it's understandable.

Thanks. So is this okay?

He was nervous during the job interview. He felt a dry lump in his throat and stammered when he answered their questions.

. So is this okay?

Didn't emsr2d2 just respond to that?

Alpa, did you invent "dry lump"?

I think it means he found it difficult to swallow.

My rule of thumb is to ask myself if I can use the opposite one. If you can't have a wet one you probably can't have a dry one either.

I think it means he found it difficult to swallow.

Yes, exactly. His throat is dry due to being nervous, which means that when he swallows it feels like there's a blockage.

Do you feel a dry lump when you are nervous? I heard it on a program on TV. I don't have access to its link.
An explanation of "anxiety lump in throat" can be found at this link.

For those who prefer a video explanation, the following link may be useful. Link

Thanks. So is this okay?

Yes. It's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back