Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
hi, there, i am studying Jorden Peterson's lecture about sex, here is the whole wording.

old sexual taboos are reasserting themselves, the idea that we can extract sex out from emotional intimacy... here, how to express the first part using a plain English?
thank you

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Something that reasserts itself is something that constantly emerges in the mind and preoccupies a person.
The sentence is about old inhibitions and hang-ups about sex which tend to persist and are hard to overcome.

How is the second part (not a sentence, and is a comma splice) related to the first?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi, there, i am studying Jordan Peterson's lecture about sex, here is the whole wording.

Old sexual taboos are reasserting themselves. The idea that we can extract sex out from emotional intimacy... here, how to express the first part using a plain English?
It's about as plain as it gets. Saying they are old means they have been around for a long time. A taboo is something that violates cultural norms. (For example, incest is forbidden in almost every culture.)

Say: "How can I express the first part using plain English?"

Why didn't you finish the second sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi no comma here there. I am studying Jorden Peterson's lecture about sex. Here is the whole wording.

"Old sexual taboos are reasserting themselves - the idea that we can extract sex out from emotional intimacy."

here, How to can I express the first part using a plain English?

Thank you.
Please note my corrections above. It's important to start every new sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with one appropriate closing punctuation mark.

I don't think that what you've posted can be the whole wording of the lecture. Are you sure it's not just the title, or the opening sentence?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 The idea that we can extract sex from emotional intimacy has been popular in this country for the past few decades.

That's one possibly, but it is, of course, just a guess.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
remington1969, if you post a link to the video so that we can hear more context, we'll be able to tell you what it means.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think he is referring to ideas that emerged in the sixties and seventies that things like casual sex don't matter are facing the return of old taboos against such behaviour.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
old sexual taboos are reasserting themselves,
Old sexual taboos - There were some things that were considered taboos in the past.
Are reasserting themselves - They lost importance. Now they're coming back. They're being given importance again.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Old sexual taboos - There were some things that were considered taboos in the past.
Are reasserting themselves - They lost importance. Now they're coming back. They're being given importance again.

More specifically, the effects of abandoning the taboos are becoming apparent. Which highlights the reason the taboos existed in the first place.

remington1969

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Something that reasserts itself is something that constantly emerges in the mind and preoccupies a person.
The sentence is about old inhibitions and hang-ups about sex which tend to persist and are hard to overcome.

How is the second part (not a sentence, and is a comma splice) related to the first?
it was his continuing saying..

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it was his continuing saying..
I don't know what that means, but there is considerably more there than what you posted.

Do you know what birth control is? Consent? Intimacy?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Here is the link. Thank you.
There couldn't possibly be just one thing you don't understand. That doesn't make sense.

For example, do you know what a relationship is? Do you know what "reliable" means? Do you know what is meant by "reliable birth control"?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
old sexual taboos are reasserting themselves, the idea that we can extract sex out from emotional intimacy...
For those asking about the grammar, I suspect this is part of a longer sentence, and sometimes in speech people run phrases onto each other and don't always construct grammatical sentences.

I just played the video and it isn't anywhere near 4:14. Where's it? I don't feel like listening to the entire thing.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Barque I wasn't paying attention to the grammar. I was more interested in what he had to say. But it sounded fine to me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The specific 'taboos' he's talking about are to do with what he describes as the (left's) current overemphasis on providing consent. (He's thinking of the recent #MeToo movement here.) If you go to the 6:20 mark, he makes this known with the phrase 'taboo reconstruction'.

It's clear that the main point he's making is the basic contradiction between on the one hand our being completely free to have sex with whomever we want whenever we want and on the other hand expecting there to be full and clear consent at every step. You can't have it both ways, he says.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I see what you mean. I think he said something about how some women feel that if they regret having had sex the next morning, the sex wasn't fully consensual (or something like that). Maybe I'm not repeating that exactly as he said it.

It reminded me of Scott Kuggeleijn. The story's on the net. A New Zealand cricketer who came close to being convicted of rape because a woman he slept with said the next day that she'd been unduly pressured and stopped resisting because of that. I can imagine it was very difficult for the court to decide. He, by all accounts, didn't do the right thing, but the court decided it might not have been so wrong as to merit conviction.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Barque I wasn't paying attention to the grammar. I was more interested in what he had to say. But it sounded fine to me.

If you regret the next morning what you did the previous night, it's a little too late to change your mind, isn't it?

Think about the consequences before you act and not afterwards.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes. But sometimes easier said than done?

Status
Not open for further replies.