Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
Europe
I know the words "was like" is generally considered a slang word and it really depends on the context of something...

So in this case on what I'm asking Does it mean they're not sure specifically about what happened or their age but guessing?

So here's my example... Johnny was like 12 when the Y2K scare happened in the late 90s

Sorry if my English is poor and I didn't know where to post this question since I'm a new member of this website.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know the words phrase "was like" is generally considered a slang word and but that it really depends on the context. of something...

So in this case on what I'm asking In the sentence below, does it mean they're not sure specifically about what happened or about their age but and they're just guessing?

So here's my example...

Johnny was like 12 when the Y2K scare happened in the late 90s.

Sorry if my English is poor. You're a learner. There is no need to apologise.

and I didn't know where to post this question since I'm a new member of this website. You posted it in the correct section.
Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections and comments above.

I think you're parsing it wrong. It would be written as "Johnny was, like, 12 when ...". Only the word "like" is the "slang" part. Without it, the rest of the sentence still makes sense - "Johnny was 12 when ...". In that context, the word "like" is used in place of "around" or "approximately" or "I think".

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
In that context, the word "like" is used in place of "around" or "approximately" or "I think".
I am more inclined to think that it's the meaningless 'like' with which many people pepper their conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In that context, the word "like" is used in place of "around" or "approximately" or "I think".

I am more inclined to think that it's the meaningless 'like' with which many people pepper their conversation.

Yes, it could be either. I don't know whether this particular example was found or created by the original poster, but if it was found, my guess would be that it's 'like' for approximation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
jay Crawford, please don't post the same question to different forums simultaneously. Post on one forum only, wait for responses and then, only if you are disappointed with/confused by the responses (or there aren't any), post on another forum and include a link to the first forum thread.
(emsr2d2)