Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I felt the encroaching noise and cold as the tender pulling away of something essential—something like oxygen, or shelter, or the glow of some warmth that had held us until now. Perhaps this feeling came from deep inside me, from something in the death of a baby in its mother's arms that depletes the hormones and begins to cancel the synchrony that should have bound mother and baby for months to come.
I remember very little of the hours that followed. What memories remain are rounded and smooth and still as stones. By now I know them well. They are so worn with recollection that all their shape and roughness is long rubbed off, and only the most dense and silent parts remain.

Source: The Lancet

Does "rounded" mean "simplified/not detailed"? Or does it mean "Shaped into the form of a circle or sphere"?
On second thought with "By now I know them well" there, I guess "rounded" here might mean "complete". I am not sure, because the author also said "They are so worn with recollection that all their shape and roughness is long rubbed off" - they are contradictory.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I felt the encroaching noise and cold as the tender pulling away of something essential—something like oxygen, or shelter, or the glow of some warmth that had held us until now. Perhaps this feeling came from deep inside me, from something in the death of a baby in its mother's arms that depletes the hormones and begins to cancel the synchrony that should have bound mother and baby for months to come.
I remember very little of the hours that followed. What memories remain are rounded and smooth and still as stones. By now I know them well. They are so worn with recollection that all their shape and roughness is long rubbed off, and only the most dense and silent parts remain.

Source: The Lancet

Does "rounded" mean "simplified/not detailed"? Or does it mean "Shaped into the form of a circle or sphere"?
On second thought with "By now I know them well" there, I guess "rounded" here might mean "complete". I am not sure, because the author also said "They are so worn with recollection that all their shape and roughness is long rubbed off" - they are contradictory.

It is a metaphor based on the fact that the incessant tumbling of pebbles in streams or the surf causes them to be worn into smooth rounded shapes. I don't see any contradiction.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to read "rounded and smooth and still as stones" as one phrase. That's what leads to the meaning probus explained well above.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "tender" (in "the tender pulling away...") mean"gentle" there?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know before that memories can be round and smooth.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you not thought of trying to put yourself into her shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.