Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm reading an article called "'Drinking Age Has Simply Got to Go,' Say Campus Riots" by Pamela White.
I have one question.

"It might also be a good idea to raise the age at which people can consent to marry to 21. Or better yet, 30.
Imagine how few divorces there would be if we all waited to tie the knot until we know what the heck we're doing with our lives."

I think the author is using sarcastic nuance. But, What does the underlined phrase mean in detail?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It simply means "What" with an intensifier, or a sign of frustration. It doesn't mean anything in detail.
Other possibilities are "what the hell", "what on Earth", or other potty-mouthed or swearing words. They all simply mean "what".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's saying that, at the age of 18, people really don't know enough to get married.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It simply means "What" with an intensifier, or a sign of frustration. It doesn't mean anything in detail.
Other possibilities are "what the hell", "what on Earth", or other potty-mouthed or swearing words. They all simply mean "what".

Just to be clear, by using "other", Raymott wasn't trying to imply that "What the heck/What the hell/What on earth" are potty-mouthed or swearing words. (At least, I don't think he was.) In BrE, those would simply be mild expressions of surprise or annoyance, but certainly not classed as any kind of swearing. For that, you need "What the bl**dy hell ..." up to "What the f*ck ...".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Heck" is a euphemism to avoid saying "hell." Much has changed in America over the past decades, but "hell" is still a (mild) profanity.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Euphemisms can outlast the shock they were covering for.

Status
Not open for further replies.