What to write on the blackboard to tell students when they have to turn in their exams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi,
since I haven’t found any satisfying answer to my question, I’d like to ask for your help.

What should a teacher write on the blackboard to let his students know when they have to turn in their exams?

Here is what I thought of:

a) due time: …
b) time of submission: …

Which of them, if one at all, is commonly used?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Neither of your options is good.

I presume the word you want is 'deadline' (the final time to submit a piece of writing) but your question doesn't actually make sense. You can 'turn in' an assignment but you can't 'turn in' an exam. An exam is something a candidate does in a controlled environment.

Valet

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Neither of your options is good.

I presume the word you want is 'deadline' (the final time to submit a piece of writing) but your question doesn't actually make sense. You can 'turn in' an assignment but you can't 'turn in' an exam. An exam is something a candidate does in a controlled environment.
Thank you :)

I hope that I got it right.

If students are taking an exam, they’ve got an assignment, which can consist of multiple tasks. They have to turn in that assignment by the deadline.

To inform the students about the set time frame, they are given to work on their assignment, the teacher can write on the blackboard:

start: 1pm
deadline: 2pm

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As @jutfrank was trying to explain, that's not how we use the terms exam and assignment in English. An exam is done in a controlled environment with a time limit, under observation. Usually students are not permitted to consult reference materials and the observers are there to ensure that they don't. An assignment, on the other hand, is done at a time and place chosen by the student, and reference materials are allowed

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure but it seems you are actually talking about an exam of some kind, in which case I'd tell the students how long they have, and write this on the board:

Start: 13:00
Finish: 14:00

If it is an exam, then turn in isn't a good word choice. At the end of an exam, the teacher or invigilator goes round and gathers the exam papers from the students' desks before letting them go.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.