Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering about the rule for using "which" or "what" as a question-word at the beginning of a sentence. Below is the original sentence I've taken from "Oxford Grammar Course Advanced" by Michael Swan and Catherine Walter.

"What country won the last World Cup?" (this sentence is from the Grammar Book). Is it possible to use "which" here and will anything change in the meaning: "Which country won the last World Cup?"

Another sentence from the same Grammar Book: "Which team won?" Is it possible to say "What team won?"

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
OK. Is there any rule behind the usage of "which" and "what" in sentences like these?

Maybe You'll kindly provide a few examples showing the difference?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is there any rule behind the usage of "which" and "what" in sentences like these?

There's no 'rule' and there's nothing special about these two example sentences. It's the normal difference between 'which' and 'what'. To put it somewhat basically: 'which' is for a closed set and 'what' is for an open set.

A set of two is the easiest way to conceive a closed set. Imagine your wife holding two dresses and asking for your opinion:

W____ dress do you prefer? This one ... or this one?

Which word goes in the gap? Why?

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not completely sure what you mean by "open set" and "closed set". Does "closed set" mean that there is a fixed number of items we can choose from and "open set" is the case when the number of options is unlimited or not specified?

In the sentence "W____ dress do you prefer? This one ... or this one?" I would choose "which" because overall we have two options (two dresses):

"Which dress do you prefer? This one ... or this one?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not completely sure what you mean by "open set" and "closed set". Does "closed set" mean that there is a fixed number of items we can choose from and "open set" is the case when the number of options is unlimited or not specified?
That works for me.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Imagine a situation when a group of people were discussing some scientific question. One of the group members suddenly has a brainwave and the head person immediately asks him: "What idea do you have?". Here there isn't a fixed number of ideas to choose from because this number is unbounded. I think "which" would be wrong here.

Am I right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does "closed set" mean that there is a fixed number of items we can choose from and "open set" is the case when the number of options is unlimited or not specified?

Yes.

In the sentence "W____ dress do you prefer? This one ... or this one?" I would choose "which" because overall we have two options (two dresses):

"Which dress do you prefer? This one ... or this one?"

Yes, right. A closed set of only two options is an ideal context to exemplify the word which.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Imagine a situation when a group of people were discussing some scientific question. One of the group members suddenly has a brainwave and the head person immediately asks him: "What idea do you have?". Here there isn't a fixed number of ideas to choose from because this number is unbounded. I think "which" would be wrong here.

Am I right?

Yes, right.