What would an English native speaker say in the following situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Situation 3) You work in a small department of a large office. You have worked there for a number of years and are the head of the department. Last weekend you borrowed a co-worker’s portable computer because you had a lot of extra work to do and were going out of town. However, you accidentally erased some important information that was stored on the computer. It is Monday morning and you see your co-worker.

a)
I’m terribly sorry but I accidentally erased information stored on your computer. I really apologize to you for my carelessness. Do you have a backup copy of that?

b) I’ve got some bad news for you. I accidentally erased some stuff on your hard drive. I’m really sorry. Did you have a back-up copy?

c) I’m terribly sorry. I erased some information on the computer.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Tulipflower:

If I had been in your situation, I would have immediately invited that co-worker to come with me to the cafeteria, where I would have treated him/her to coffee and two pieces of delicious pastry.

They say that it is difficult to get angry with someone who has given you food!

Also, being in a public setting might convince the co-worker not to lose his/her temper.

Then I would choose sentence a) to say.

b) might alarm your co-worker too much because of the words "bad news."

c) is too blunt and direct.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Tulipflower:

If I had been in your situation, I would have immediately invited that co-worker to come with me to the cafeteria, where I would have treated him/her to coffee and two pieces of delicious pastry.

They say that it is difficult to get angry with someone who has given you food!

Also, being in a public setting might convince the co-worker not to lose his/her temper.

Then I would choose sentence a) to say.

b) might alarm your co-worker too much because of the words "bad news."

c) is too blunt and direct.

I love your approach :) but it is "bad news', might as well help him/her prepare for the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.