Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have read a article on APNEWS today.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-masks-cdc-guidelines-9d10c8b5f80a4ac720fa1df2a4fb93e5

in this article , i found a sentence says:

The announcement came as many states and communities have already been lifting mask mandates amid improving virus numbers and as more Americans have been shedding face coverings after getting shots.

i don't know the meaning of "lifting mask mandates amid improving virus numbers".

does it mean

shed mask even though improving virus numbers
or
make a more strict restriction with improving virus numbers ?
i am confused about this sentence, pleas help me.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It would be easier to understand with a comma after *mandates." Many communities have been relaxing their rules about wearing masks. Apparently they feel that the risks due to not wearing masks are decreasing as more people are vaccinated.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have read an article on APNEWS today.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-masks-cdc-guidelines-9d10c8b5f80a4ac720fa1df2a4fb93e5

In this article , I found a sentence that says:

The announcement came as many states and communities have already been lifting mask mandates amid improving virus numbers and as more Americans have been shedding face coverings after getting shots.

I don't know the meaning of "lifting mask mandates amid improving virus numbers".

What are being lifted? Mandates. What kind of mandates? Mask mandates.

What are improving? Numbers. What kind of numbers? Virus numbers.

Does it mean

shed mask
s even though improving virus numbers

No, "even though" is not implied. The numbers are improving, so governments are easing restrictions.

or

make
stronger restrictions with improving virus numbers[no space]?

No. It is simply stating that restrictions are loosening as numbers improve. Restrictions are being lifted amid better numbers.

I am confused about this sentence. Please help me.
Strict is part of restriction, so putting them together in a phrase is repetitious.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this context, "lift" means remove.

Kapaseker

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dou you mean that "improving virus numbers" means "a better stattics"?
Or shoud i say that "people remove masks with less people infected" ?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dou[/STRIKE] Do you mean that "improving virus numbers" means "[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] better statistics"?
[STRIKE]Or[/STRIKE]
Should I say that "people remove masks with less people infected"?

Note my multiple corrections above. I recommend that you install an English spell checker on your browser so that you don't make so many spelling errors. Remember to capitalise the word "I" every time you write it.

"Statistics" is a plural word - you can't have "a statistics". "Improving virus numbers" means that the number of people who are infected and/or transmitting the virus is becoming lower.

"People remove masks with less people infected" is not grammatical, nor does it mean the same as the original.
1. It should be "fewer people" - use "fewer" with countable nouns and "less" with uncountable nouns.
2. Saying "People remove masks" suggests that people are simply choosing to remove their masks. That's not the point of the original. It's nothing to do with whether or not people actually take their masks off. It's to do with the fact that the rules/laws (mandates) that require people to wear masks are starting to be lifted/reversed.

Here is a simpler version for you:
Fewer people are infected with Covid so some of the rules regarding wearing a mask are being reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.