[Grammar] What's the correct option: They spent _____ of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
They spent _____ of dollars to help save endangered animals in the region.
a. hundreds of millions
b. a hundred of millions
c. hundreds of million
d. hundred of millions

I know a is more common, but I wonder if there's anything wrong with the other options.

Only a. is correct. The others are ungrammatical.

Mostly because a hundred is singular and it should be plural.

$100,000,000 = a hundred million dollars

$500,000,000 = hundreds of millions of dollars

But also because, in the first phrase above, the word million should be singular, not plural, and the word of should not be there.

Mostly because a hundred is singular and it should be plural.

$100,000,000 = a hundred million dollars

$500,000,000 = hundreds of millions of dollars

But also because, in the first phrase above, the word million should be singular, not plural, and the word of should not be there.
You're right!
How about c and d? According to the Longman Dictionary, both hundred and hundreds can be used as the plural form of hundred. The same goes for million. So c and d don't seem to be ungrammatical.

Last edited:
c. hundreds of million
d. hundred of millions
Would you mind explaining why?
In C, "million" has to be plural to agree with "hundreds". In D, "hundred" has to be plural to agree with "millions".

That COCA is non-judgmental. It records all examples of words/phrase searched, including incorrect ones.

Ngram

I note that COCA has 3,102 examples of hundreds of millions of, and six of hundreds of million of.
Great answer! How about example sentences in dictionaries? Should I expect to see such "errors" in those sentences?

Why is b ungrammatical?
Because it doesn't make sense.

How can you have one hundred of millions? It's like saying you have a hundred of many.

Mike, whatever else you find in dictionaries or on the internet, only 'hundreds of millions' is correct.

Use that.

Great answer! How about example sentences in dictionaries? Should I expect to see such "errors" in those sentences?
No, not if it's really a dictionary. Often there are online sources that seem authoritative but aren't.

COCA, for instance, is not a dictionary.

No, not if it's really a dictionary. Often there are online sources that seem authoritative but aren't.

COCA, for instance, is not a dictionary.

• multitude: "Today the seas teem with multitudes of creatures comprising hundred of thousands of species."
  • upwards of: "Litigation in Federal Court can cost upwards of tens or hundreds of thousand of dollars, which, in effect, means that only big hit songwriters backed by large publishers have legal recourse."

They're both incorrect. Both 'hundreds' and 'thousands' must be pluralised.

What do you hope to achieve by persisting in posting incorrect examples?

What do you hope to achieve by persisting in posting incorrect examples?
I thank you and all other contributors to this great forum! :up::up:
I just meant to answer Charlie Bernstein's post: #15. Sorry if this thread took too long! :oops:

It won't get any longer.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back