Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Could you please advise me on the following question.
:-?I can't figure out the clear meaning of the paragraph in one BBC article below. It's the last paragraph in the chapter of "Fairy dust"
I feel like some words are missing in this paragraph.

"But while chances are given, if they're not taken up the "touchy-feely" stuff ends there in other successful schools. Some take a hard line with children who persistently misbehave. "

BBC News - How do you get children to behave in class?

I'd highly appreciate for your help.

I'd put a comma after taken up and I think it's a bit clumsy because in other successful schools doesn't connect well. I think it means something like Other successful schools give chances, but if they're not taken up, the touchy-feely stuff ends there.

This is a situation where you have to work out the meaning of the whole thing. Apparently in some schools they try a 'touchy-feely' (gentle) way of getting bad children to behave. In the best (successful) schools, if this touchy-feely method fails they go back to normal firm discipline. I don't see any need for a comma after 'taken up'. May I correct your own comment? You could say 'I would greatly appreciate your help' or 'I would be very grateful for your help' Gambatte.

Last edited:
To Tdol

Thank you very much for your help:-D!

To ianhood

Thank you for very detailed advice:-D, and I also
deeply thank you for correcting my previous comment.
Gambarimasu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back