Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

No Shiel today ... :)

I have found a sentece which is:

"When I have finished my work, I will have a beer."

I would like to ask why present perfect simple is used in the sentence while it evidently refers to an event in future. I know it means the same thing like "When I finish my work, I will have a beer" so it seems strange to me why have and -ed are used here.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think there is real difference below, but I am not a teacher.

'When I do my work, I will have a beer.'── I will have a beer while doing my work.
'When I have done my work, I will have a beer.'── I will have a beer after doing my work.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try getting that real difference with finish, which is what Piscean was asked. Also, I would probably use While I do my work to get that meaning. In most cases there is little difference between the two forms- the present perfect just adds an extra element of completion.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"When I finish my work, I will have a beer"
I think it might suggest that a beer is near at hand, otherwise the speaker cannot have it right at the moment of completion, but I am not a teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it might suggest that a beer is near at hand, otherwise the speaker cannot have it right at the moment of completion, but I am not a teacher.

It doesn't have to be right at the moment of completion, but is possibly the next major thing that they do. What matters is that the work must be finished first.

Status
Not open for further replies.