Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The Cambridge English IELTS is a series of books for students who take the IELTS test. In China, we've seen Cambridge 18. The first book I bought is Cambridge 4. Since Cambridge 18 has been in the market for almost a year. I want to know when the No.19 book can be bought in China. So, I asked a friend of mine who told me she writes IELTS reading questions. I asked her "When will the Cambridge 19 be released in China?"

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Cambridge English IELTS is a series of books for students who plan to/are studying to take the IELTS test. In China, we've seen Cambridge 18 has been published in China. The first book I bought is Cambridge 4. Since Cambridge 18 has been in on the market for almost a year, I want to know when the No.19 book can be bought will be available in China. So, I asked a friend of mine, who told me she writes IELTS reading questions. I asked her "When will the Cambridge 19 be released in China?"
Once you've introduced the concept of the series of books and referred to the latest one as "Cambridge 18", you can go on to use just the number. It's clear you're talking about the same topic throughout.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Once you've introduced the concept of the series of books and referred to the latest one as "Cambridge 18", you can go on to use just the number. It's clear you're talking about the same topic throughout.
Much appreciated, emsr2d2. Hmm, I have a question about "be released" here. Since Cambridge Series isn't something like an album but books. Will it be better to say:

When will Cambridge 19 be published in China?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

Would it be better to say ....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Since the Cambridge Series isn't something like an album but books, will would it be better to say the following/say it like this?
.See above. Your original sentence starting "Since" and ending with "books" was not a complete sentence. It was the first half of what should have been a longer sentence. See above. Also, it's awkward to leave the "would it be better" part incomplete just so you can use a colon. Using the colon meant you forgot to use the required question mark.