Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Using wh words with verbs followed by infinitive and gerund

I want to ask if the rest of the sentense remains the same when I ask questions with wh words using verbs followed by infinitive and gerund.
For example, my friend ask my a question.
the verbs 'want, 'need' and 'prefer' are followed by infinitive whereas 'deny' and avoid are followed by gerund.
Can he ask me the following questions with wh words?
1 Where do you want to stay tonight?
2 What do you prefer to do?
3 Where do you need to go for your holiday?
4 Why do you avoid going to church on Fridays?
5 Why do you deny driving your car so fast?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess you're right. I never thought of that before.

Sentences one through five are all good.

Say: "My friend asked me a question."

In that post, "infinitive" and "gerund" should be plural.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Prefer' is on the short list of verbs which can take either the gerund or infinitive with little enough difference in meaning they're generally interchangeable. Other verbs in this group are like, love, hate, can't stand, can't bear, cease, continue, neglect, and propose.

'Need' is on another short list of verbs which can take the gerund or infinitive, but with a substantial difference in meaning (or use). These include need, forget, stop, begin, dread, keep, regret, remember, start, and try.

Regarding your original question - since it's the verb which determines gerund or infinitive, all those 'wh' question words have no bearing on the gerund vs. infinitive issue. Neither does the fact that it's an interrogative, affirmative, or negative sentence.

Last edited:

dwni1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
'Prefer' is on the short list of verbs which can take either the gerund or infinitive with little enough difference in meaning they're generally interchangeable. Other verbs in this group are like, love, hate, can't stand, can't bear, cease, continue, neglect, and propose.

'Need' is on another short list of verbs which can take the gerund or infinitive, but with a substantial difference in meaning (or use). These include need, forget, stop, begin, dread, keep, regret, remember, start, and try.

Regarding your original question - since it's the verb which determines gerund or infinitive, all those 'wh' question words have no bearing on the gerund vs. infinitive issue. Neither does the fact that it's an interrogative, affirmative, or negative sentence.
Thank you very much! It means that when it comes to using wh words, the verbs followed by either infinitive or gerund are not affected by them.
In other words, if I have ‘want’ that is followed by infinitive and ‘admit’ and ‘deny’ that are followed by gerund, I can say
1 When did you deny going to the church?
2 Why did you admit accepting bribes?
3 Where do you want to work?
But I can’t say
4 When did you deny to go to the church?
5 Why did you admit to accept bribes?
6 Where do you want working?

Sentences number one, two and three are correct whereas sentences number four, fifth and sixth are wrong. Is that right?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@dwni1 That's right. One, two and three work. Four, five and six don't.

dwni1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much!
It means that I can use verbs followed by infinitive, noun/pronoun and infinitive, gerund, noun/pronoun and gerund, wh words and that clauses with all the verbs tenses, questions and modal verbs. The verb tenses, the modal verbs and quotation words do not affect the infinitive and the gerund. Is that right?