Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If today we have write a document like this declaration, will we still the word "Whereas" as the very starting word (which means "Campared with the fact that")? Is there any other word around that functions the same?

=======================
Preamble

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,
Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,
Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Source:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights. Drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 (General Assembly resolution 217 A) as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations. I

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Whereas" is used commonly used in the front part of legal contracts to mean "in consideration of".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you use the word "Whereas" you are saying "I'm about to say something important. In other words, almost the only time you'll see it is in documents like that one.

(Cross posted.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If [STRIKE]today[/STRIKE] we [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had to write a document like this declaration today, [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would we still use the word "Whereas" (which means "Compared with the fact that") as the very [STRIKE]starting[/STRIKE] first word? Is there any other word [STRIKE]around[/STRIKE] that functions the same way?

Please see my corrections to your opening paragraph. Note that I moved the phrase in brackets to directly after the word you were defining.

Status
Not open for further replies.