Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I hope you are having a lovely day!

source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cycling-bookseller-takes-on-the-online-giants

In the second paragraph, Santini says

“Quixote went to fight against the windmills,” Santini said of the protagonist in the classic novel by Miguel de Cervantes. “My windmills are the online retailers from those monster multinationals … which for us independent booksellers are unnameable.”

I think Santini would like to say 'Independent bookstores like him are unmaneable, compared with the online retailers from those monster multinationals' but I feel like he misused the relative pronoun 'which' in 'which for us independent booksellers are unnameable.'

1. Do you think I understood this paragraph correctly? or 'which for us independent booksellers are unnameable' is like 'which (for us independent booksellers) are unnameable' ?
2. Then I think the structure of 'which for us independent booksellers are unnameable.' is wrong. Then, how can I correct 'which for us independent booksellers are unnameable.' ?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have not understood Santini's words correctly. It is the online retailers which are unnameable for the independent booksellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.