Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'There are two hostile branches in Stratford. There is the Royal Shakespeare Company, which presents the plays. There are the towfolk who largely live off the tourists.
The worthy residents of Stratford doubt the fact..."
From above we can learn the townfolk doubt the fact. Is it right and why?

Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What fact do they doubt? It's not okay the way you have left it.

Note that "they doubt the fact that" would have been a far superior title to your thread, which was far too similar to your other thread titles to be useful.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What fact do they doubt? It's not okay the way you have left it.

Note that "they doubt the fact that" would have been a far superior title to your thread, which was far too similar to your other thread titles to be useful.
Thanks for your post ,but my question has nothing to do with "the fact", in my eyes. My question is among the subjects " RSC,townfolk , and the worthy residents ".
Since you want the fact ,I can add it and change my question.
"... The worthy residents doubt the theatre adds a penny to their revenue."
From above we can see the townfolk deny the RSC' contribution to the town's revenue. Is that right?
Thanks a lot!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The logic still has me lost. If the townspeople live off the revenue of the tourists, and the tourists come to see the theater, how can they doubt that the theater is part of their revenue?

Your original post sounded like you wanted to literally write "The worthy residents of Stratford doubt the fact"

Anyway, if your question is whether the worthy residents refers to the townfolks, the answer is yes.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The logic still has me lost. If the townspeople live off the revenue of the tourists, and the tourists come to see the theater, how can they doubt that the theater is part of their revenue?

Your original post sounded like you wanted to literally write "The worthy residents of Stratford doubt the fact"

Anyway, if your question is whether the worthy residents refers to the townfolks, the answer is yes.
My question comes from a test of China's graduate for 2006. Please get rid of the so -called fact, and conrentrate ourselves on the men. Of course , I know the worthy residents of stratford belong to the townfolk ,just as the old men of a village are villagers of the village. Can we say the villagers study hard. The old men of the village like sports. So we can conlude from it the villagers like sports. Is the logic right? In my eyes, such topic is far beyond English level, it is like IQ . Thanks a lot!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The old men of the village like sports. So we can conclude from it the villagers like sports. Is the logic right?
If we are told that the old men of the village like sports, we cannot say, "The villagers like sport"; we can say only that some of the villagers like sport.

Your original question would be easier to consider if you quoted the whole question from the test, exactly as it is written.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If we are told that the old men of the village like sports, we cannot say, "The villagers like sport"; we can say only that some of the villagers like sport.

Your original question would be easier to consider if you quoted the whole question from the test, exactly as it is written.
Because if I quoted the test topic, it would be too long, and much of it is no use. The original topic is a choosing one. The examinee must choose " the townsfolk deny the RSC' contribution to the town's revenue", just as "the villagers like sports," they can get a mark. In my opinion, what a pity for the Chinese graduates that year! What's your opinion? I am glad to hear that.
Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On the limited information we have, we simply cannot give a satisfactory answer.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
On the whole, I have copied the text concerned to the topic,and after all, the right answer is that.The rest of the text has nothing to do with the topic. The examining point is whether you can regard the worthy residents as the townsfolk. If you can, you can get the mark. Reality is gravity. This is the modern ,important Chinese test !
Thanks to you all!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On the whole, I have copied the text concerned to the topic,and after all, the right answer is that.The rest of the text has nothing to do with the topic. The examining point is whether you can regard the worthy residents as the townsfolk. If you can, you can get the mark. Reality is gravity. This is the modern ,important Chinese test !
Thanks to you all!
"The worthy residents/townfolk doubt the theatre adds a penny to their revenue." is not exactly the same as " the worthy residents/townfolk deny the RSC' contribution to the town's revenue", which perhaps added to the problem.

And, I have to confess, I have not the faintest idea what you mean by 'reality is gravity'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The examining point is whether you can regard the worthy residents as the townsfolk.

I am at a loss as to your continued confusion:
BarbD said:

Of course , I know the worthy residents of stratford belong to the townfolk
It seems you, of course, know the answer. The worthy residents ARE the townfolk.

As a side note, please note that there is no space before a punctuation mark, but there is a space after one.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I want to say life is severe.
Thanks!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"It seems you, of course, know the answer. The worthy residents ARE the townfolk.

As a side note, please note that there is no space before a punctuation mark, but there is a space after one. "said Barb D.
Thanks for your help about punctuation and space.

As for the original question your answer is "we can see the townsfolk deny the fact " is right, I think.
But others have their ideas, too. My meaning is such a topic has not one right answer. It's a pity for a national important test.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.