[Grammar] Which is the best way to submit my thesis statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamfl24

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need help, which is the correct way to submit this thesis statement?

Thesis Statement:

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control. Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, so as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control; Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thesis Statement:

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control. Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, so as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control; Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving test and screenings.

The third one, with the capital T in "Therefore" is incorrect. With a lower-case t it would be okay gramatically. I'd use either of the first two with no real difference in meaning.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thesis Statement:

I would pluralize "test".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So would I. Missed that.

Tamfl24

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this seem correct? and sound right? Thank you for all your help :)

Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control; therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd add an "in" before "control" - in control. The "in good health" doesn't really transfer the "in" very well.

I thought I was clear when I said I'd use either of the first two, but the third was grammatical with the lower-case t. You have produced a grammatically correct sentence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd add an "in" before "control" - in control. The "in good health" doesn't really transfer the "in" very well.

I thought I was clear when I said I'd use either of the first two, but the third was grammatical with the lower-case t. You have produced a grammatically correct sentence.

I agree. I missed that. We're even. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.