Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Both sentences are mine, but I was wondering if my corrections are right. I think I can use both "which" and "that". I removed "person" as I think it can be used, but it's not necessary. I also remember the thread about using "with" at the end of a sentence.

1. "I don't have any secret information which my sister doesn't know about me, as she is the first person with whom I share any information."

2. "I don't have any secret information which/that my sister doesn't know about me, as she is the first I share any information with."

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello.
Both sentences are mine I was wondering if my corrections are right. I think I can use both "which" and "that", I removed "person" I think it can be used, but it's not necessary.
I have highlighted three instances of a run-on sentence above! Can you fix them?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Both sentences are mine, but I was wondering if my corrections are right.

If they're yours, why are there corrections?

I think I can use both "which" and "that". I removed "person" as I think it can be used, but it's not necessary. I also remember the thread about using "with" at the end of a sentence.

1. "I don't have any secrets [STRIKE]information[/STRIKE] that my sister doesn't know about [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE], as she is the first person [STRIKE]with whom[/STRIKE] I share any information with."
Which might be fine in British English, but in the US, we only use it after a comma.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, as a traditionalist or "old-timer", I still stick with the rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition. So, I would tend to say, "..she is the first with whom I share any information."
But to the main issue, use of 'which' or 'that' that sent me googling restrictive and non-restrictive clauses with "which" or "that". I chose these two links:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/when-to-use-that-and-which
https://medium.com/writetoedit/that-vs-which-restrictive-and-nonrestrictive-clauses-6f1fc6fcd680
Suggest you and members review and post your opinion.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Which might be fine in British English, but in the US, we only use it after a comma.

Thank you. I write different sentences for practice. That's why there are corrections. I try to choose the best one.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, as a traditionalist or "old-timer", I still stick with the rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition. . . . .
A dangling preposition is something up with which you will not put!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. I write different sentences for practice. That's why there are corrections. I try to choose the best one.
Yes, but there were no corrections. There were just two sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.