Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I'd like to know what difference you perceive between the V-ing version and the finite verb version of the following sentences. Do both versions make sense?

a. The joy and excitement of the successful landing for the Perseverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter, which took place during a time of hardship for so many, echoed around the globe.

a'. The joy and excitement of the successful landing for the Perseverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter, taking place during a time of hardship for so many, echoed around the globe.

b. The shooting incident which happened in the city has shocked people all over the world.

b'. The shooting incident happening in the city has shocked people all over the world.

I'd appreciate your help.

The second one indicates that the time of hardship is still going on. Well, that's what I was going to say at first, but I changed my mind in the middle typing that sentence. There is really no difference.

Assuming the shooting isn't still going on, the fourth one doesn't work.

The second one indicates that the time of hardship is still going on. Well, that's what I was going to say at first, but I changed my mind in the middle typing that sentence. There is really no difference.

Assuming the shooting isn't still going on, the fourth one doesn't work.

I suspect what was going on, or taking place, was the landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back