Which words did the speaker say in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In a video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9m0wZ14GQ at 9:39, the speaker said the following line:
There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international disputes settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, with a _____ quite different.

However, there's one phrase corresponding to the blank above that I can't make out. Could anyone help me please?
Thank you very much.

"... with a power dynamic that's quite different."

In a video on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N9m0wZ14GQ at 9:39, the speaker said the following line:
There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international dispute settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, where the power dynamic is quite different.

However, there's one phrase corresponding to the blank above that I can't make out. Could anyone help me please?
Thank you very much.

You're welcome!

I'd go with Charlie Bernstein's on this one.

It's definitely "with a power dynamic that's", which also makes more sense than Charlie's suggestion.

That was my initial thought. But when I try and use some technique -- that is, slowing down the sound -- I cannot hear 'that' at all.

It's definitely "with a power dynamic that's", which also makes more sense than Charlie's suggestion.

They both make sense and mean the same thing. He's using the word "where" in the sense of "in which."

So for Khanhhung's purposes, it doesn't matter.

There's one view, for example, of the South China Sea that one reason why China is very resistant to international dispute settlement in the South China Sea is that it would prefer to resolve these things bilaterally, where the power dynamic is quite different.

Wouldn't "dispute settlements" be more grammatical, although I'm pretty sure he said "settlement"?

He did say settlement, meaning the general process rather than individual cases.

Wouldn't "dispute settlements" be more grammatical, although I'm pretty sure he said "settlement"?

I would use "settlement." He's not talking about specific settlements. He's talking in general terms, so the singular form is called for.

In this context, "international dispute settlement" is a shorter way to say "the settlement of international disputes".

Hey! Good point! Much better answer, GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back