Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "while" instead of "during" and can I omit "for" before "searching"?

"People may need English during/while travelling and searching (for) work. There are many jobs that you don't need English to start working there." I wanted to change the last sentence into "There are many jobs where English isn't required".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Should I use "while" instead of "during"? and
2. C
an I omit "for" before "searching"?

"People may need English during/while travelling and searching (for) work. There are many jobs that you don't need English to start working there." I wanted want to change the last sentence into "There are many jobs where English isn't required".
1. I'd use "might" not "may" there.
2. No.

Did you mean to have "travelling and searching for work" come across as one thing (ie they're looking for a job while they're travelling)? I have a feeling you intended them to be two different activities. Try reordering the sentence or using some punctuation to separate them.
The underlined sentence is completely ungrammatical. Your revised version is ideal for the situation.

Since you persist in asking more than one question per thread, please number your questions so that it's easier for us to reply.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
1. I'd use "might" not "may" there.
2. No.

Did you mean to have "travelling and searching for work" come across as one thing (ie they're looking for a job while they're travelling)? I have a feeling you intended them to be two different activities. Try reordering the sentence or using some punctuation to separate them.
The underlined sentence is completely ungrammatical. Your revised version is ideal for the situation.

Since you persist in asking more than one question per thread, please number your questions so that it's easier for us to reply.

Do you mean both "while" and "during" are correct and is "might" your personal preference? Isn't "may" grammatically correct?
Yes, I meant different activities. If I write my sentence as "People might need English during/while travelling and also while/during searching for work" would it be clear that they are different activities? I just don't know how to express the same idea by reordering it or using punctuation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I wouldn't use "during" there.
2. The words "may" and "might" mean different things.
3. It's perfectly clear that they are separate activities.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What's the difference between"may" and "might" in my sentence? Don't they both express possibility? I was judging by this explanation and by the explanation from my textbooks:
"We use could, may and might to express degrees of possibility. Many native speakers disagree on which one expresses more or less certainty.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Do you mean my rephrased sentence makes it clear they are different activities?
"People might need English while travelling and also while searching for work".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean my rephrased sentence makes it clear they are different activities?
"People might need English while travelling and also while searching for work".
It was clear from the beginning that they are different activities. But that doesn't mean you can't combine the two. You can!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please explain how you would reorder the sentence or use punctuation to express the same idea?
Two things. One, we don't use punctuation to express ideas but to make it clear what we are saying. Two, I would take a shot at rephrasing the sentence for you if I could remember what it was. (People often expect me to have a better memory than I do -- or so it seems.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use either "may" "might" or "could" in my sentence according to the quoted source in post 5?
You can, but that doesn't mean they all mean the same thing.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You can, but that doesn't mean they all mean the same thing.
Do you mean the difference is that "may" expresses more possibility than "might" and "could"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It was clear from the beginning that they are different activities. But that doesn't mean you can't combine the two. You can!
Would "during" work in BrE?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean the difference is that "may" expresses more possibility than "might" and "could"?
I don't think so. I see "may" as quite formal and not usually an alternative to "might" or "could". (Others may have different opinions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.