Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
I am doing a short film and I must create several accents in english for a couple of roles. Some are more american inspired, some are british inspired. I need native english speakers who "supervise" my vocal performance in terms of having created a realistic, believable accents (Although the speech may be odd due to the nature of the characters). The thing is that I don't want to sound like an idiot trying to do an accent. So, where can I keep posting my recordings so that someone can give me their opinion. Or if there is any forum specifically for Accent and speech I'd appreciate if you share the link.

Thank you,

Diego Moreno

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's fine to post them in this specific forum - people often post samples for others to evaluate.

You'll have to just provide some kind of link other than the actual file. Here are a few options, but of course there are many more.

http://vocaroo.com/ - You can record directly from their web app or upload files. Afterwards, you'll be given a link to post directly to the recording.

www.goear.com - I think this one requires you to install Shockwave or some other software.

Finally, you could always post it on Youtube, even if it's just audio with a picture.

Diego Moreno

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Perfect Ill be posting lines of the characters that I will play of the script I wrote. Here is the script. Feel free to criticize it.

His way to show off his pretty feet and hands.

“Now remember firmly what I am going to tell you: the theatre, on account of its publicity and spectacular side, attracts many people who merely want to capitalize their beauty or make careers. They take advantage of the ignorance of the public, its perverted taste, favouritism, intrigues, false success, and many other means which have no relation to creative art. These exploiters are the deadliest enemies of art. We have to use the sternest measures with them, and if they cannot be reformed they must be removed from the boards. Therefore … you must make up your mind, once and for all, did you come here to serve art, and to make sacrifices for its sake, or to exploit your own personal ends?”
-Konstanin Stanislavksy

they enter.
ACTOR - So this shall be our location (he's being offered a cigarrette, he refuses gets a lollipop instead) So everything is ready, whenever you say action.
CREW - (whispering voices) Yeah, but he's got to get in character.
DIRECTOR - Right. Do you need some time alone? do you need some space to prepare? we've got no rush
ACTOR - I can swap into character instantly.
DIRECTOR - Are sure you know who your character is?
ACTOR - Have I ever let you down?
DIRECTOR - It is the firs time we work together.
ACTOR - Exacty.
DIRECTOR - alright then do thyne thing.
ACTOR - This jacket, take it and bring me my sweater.
DIRECTOR - Are you ready to start?
ACTOR - Nothing ever starts, nor does it end. Only when you say action, and only when you say cut you get the illusion of a beginning and an end. I trust all of you, I vaguely know anything about what you do. All I can do is trust your craft. This isn't about me, this isn't about us. This is about the character
DIRECTOR - Okay lets sit down. Photographer (camera man) remember to always take the best shots and angles when the most expressive emotional moments arrive.
ACTOR - Director, remember to choose my most emotional expressive and truthful scenes at post production.
DIRECTOR - Well then, get into character and we shall start.
ACTOR - (in character) So what do you want to know about me?
DIRECTOR - Tell us about you. Whats your name?
ACTOR -it is not written anywhere in the script. You may call me telmah. Sound silly. It is hamlet in reverse.
DIRECTOR - Do you identify yourself with such a character as hamlet.
ACTOR - Emotionally, internally, organically I do. Nonetheless, as a difference from Hamlet I don't have a plot and I certainly don't have an objective.
DIRECTOR - You ought to have at least an objective. Listen we are just amateurs, and we attempt expression. We rely on your craft
ACTOR - And I my imgae relies on your craft as well.
DIRECTOR - Well then you are the actor, act!
ACTOR - (In character) I'm not an actor, althought I would like to be one.
CREW - (whispering) He is terrific
ACTOR - (in character) I'm here, sitting on the couch, I lent myself for the sake of this film. What do you want to know about me.
DIRECTOR -speak!
ACTOR - (In character) I'm shy, but yes I do love to talk about myself.Actually, it is the only thing I can do: Think about myself, but i'm not sure you will understand my process, I don't even understand it.
DIRECTOR - So you think you are intellectually above others.
ACTOR - (I.C) Absolutely not. I am just weird I don't know how to express what I really am.
DIRECTOR - Just talk more about you, this is your character, your big time, you are the actor.
ACTOR - I told you I am not an actor! This is... Whomever I am.
CREW - He is amazing, he won't break character.
ACTOR (I.C) OK, so you think this is fiction, alright I will play fiction with you then.
DIRECTOR - Why are we speaking in english, by the way
ACTOR - (IN and out) Because I want our message to reach worldwide. Listen, I dont go out, I dont get involved in comunity activities, local arts, sports, parties, social life or anything. I just stay at home. I try to remain isolated as much as I can. Of course, I eventually will have to leave the house to do a few chores and it is such a burden.
DIRECTOR - Why do you remain isolated?
ACTOR - I can't deal with the burden of all the stimulus.
DIRECTOR - which stimulus.
ACTOR - Inner stimulus and outer stimulus. When Im alone I have to deal only with my inner stimulus, which is overwhelming enough. I also deal with sone outer stimulus, but in a much lesser degree. Those outer stimulus that I experience even in isolation would come from the movies, the videos I watch and the books I read. Which are all in english, and it seem their message to reach worldwide. I want my message reach and be understood worldwide. But im not even know in my own locality.----
DIRECTOR - What would you be popular for, you don't do anything, you sleep as much as you can. You don't work, you don't go to school, you ocassionally read or watch something, but you are isolated in your own self ninety five percent of the time
ACTOR - How do you know that?
DIRECTOR It is on the script. By the way, don't mind our accents? They are way below acceptable. English is not even our main languague.
ACTOR - I don't care a damn about how we sound as long as people from all over the world to listen to us. As I said I never belonged to the system was supposed to belong. I was raised by the internet. I don't have a group of friends. I don't upload many things on facebook and when i do, my pictures barely get a few likes, in contrast to other people who are actually popular and get hundreds of likes. Let's face it, we are not and we will never be that sort of people. The only thing we have, our only hope is the media abvailable to us.
DIRECTOR - What if we don't get any viewers.
ACTOR - It doesn't matter, who cares, lets just face reality. Who cares about about fiction This is all we have: organic and truthfull expression. If we can make it in a beautiful way much better, we are just amateurs and we will do what we can. Who will care about this anyways? Our only exposure is to our contacts in facebook who won't even get any of this stuff. We can't compete against those who actually show off their pretty feet and hands. We are not even scholars, a lot less geniuses.We don't belong anywhere.
DIRECTOR - Stop right now. Don't talk in plural. Me and my crew belong somewhere and aspire to something. It is you who doesn't fit anywhere. It is you who want to be so special that won't even let anyone reach you. And guess what. Nobody gives a fuck about you!
ACTOR - I totally agree. Listen I'm not trying to be special, not even popular. I told you I just cant bear my own reality. Have you ever heard of the term solipsism.
DIRECTOR - No, what does it mean.
ACTOR - Google it.
DIRECTOR - are you on drugs or some kind of medications?
ACTOR - As a matter of fact I do take medicine on prescripcion.
DIRECTOR - do you want to talk about it?
ACTOR - I'll be brief: due to my strange nature of isolation, my relatives though something was wrong with me, which led me into a journey of psiquiatrists, medications, and studies.
DIRECTOR - And what is their diagnose?
ACTOR - 80 mg of prozac, 3 mg of rivotril.
DIRECTOR - Is it helping?
ACTOR - I hope it is. Do you realize we don't have any names? Whoever wrote this didn't assign us any names.
DIRECTOR - The roles are clear to me, I am director. You are some character.
ACTOR - Is this fiction or is this reality?
DIRECTOR- fiction is part of reality. are you acting or are you being your real self?
ACTOR - Everybody acts and everybody is their real selves at the same time, it confuses and it overwhelmes me too. Where is all this leading to? Are we going to cut at some point, are we going to release this film in our avbailable media? I don't care what happens next, I don't care whomever witness this piece of brute expresion. I dont care who sees my pretty feet and hands. Because...
DIRECTOR - camera man close up to his face, put him in frame
ACTOR - I will kill myself
DIRECTOR - You know you are being filmed of course you want others to see you. Is this your way to call attention?
ACTOR - That would be my way to exit reality.
DIRECTOR - Why would you? Camarographer, close up to his eyes and facial expresion!
ACTOR - Because it is painfull, because it is overwhelming, because it is frustrating.
DIRECTOR - this is expression bitches. This is pure brute expression of an exploited art to our, to my, to his, to our advantage . Okay we don't want to make this too long, we are just playing a harmonic hypnotic repetitive fifht in the piano, maybe reach and played a chord. But we are not in any way writting a symphony and we dont pretend to do so. Its over.
ACTOR - Make sure the edition is good, I know you can make all this look and feel more emotional, aesthetical and artistic. I know you can make me look beautiful
DIRECTOR - So we are done for today, you were good. You were very good camera man, I shall kiss the lens of your camera.
DIRECTOR - Are going to get back to yourself or are you going to stay in character.
ACTOR - I'll show you what i'll do.
DIRECTOR - Camera man! close up to his face and eyes. Is he on frame? Cut.
END

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It will need proper proofreading to sort out things like this:

alright then do thyne thing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A couple of things.

People capitalize "on" something.

Say:

I'll upload something.

Do you know how "develop" is spelled?

Diego Moreno

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Thanks for the observation. I appreciate spelling corrections.
Nonetheless my priority is my speech. Where you able to hear the recording?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Were you able to hear the recording?

How long is it?

Diego Moreno

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Right: were not where. I just get many typos. The recording is like 10 seconds, but ill soon upload a 1 minute video of a shakespeare sonnet

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I couldn't hear it very well.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Perfect! I'll be posting lines of for the characters in the play that I wrote.

Diego Moreno

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico

try this video

Status
Not open for further replies.