Who did you guess he was? VS Did you guess who he was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi
I have organized my questions more clearly. I hope it can make you understand what I want to ask about.

From what I see when verbs "guess, suppose, believe, think, imagine" can be used with indirect Wh-questions as object, Native speakers usually say the following sentences while asking for the fact.
A) You guessed who he was.
B) Who did you guess he was? --> I guessed he was my father.
C) You thought what could be a problem.
D) What did you think could be a problem? --> I thought the global warming effect could be a problem.

As far as I know, Wh-words are positioned on the first place in question sentences.

However Native speakers won't say the below-written sentences, even though they want to ask for an answer Yes or No.
aa) Did you guess who he was? --> Yes, I guessed who he was. (X Wrong)
bb) Did you think who he was? --> Yes, I thought who he was.
(X Wrong)
cc) Did you think what could be a problem? --> No, I didn't think what could be a problem.
(X Wrong)

If so in the case of verbs "guess, suppose, believe, think, imagine", they don't have Do/Does questions with indirect Wh-questions as object.
Am I right?

I'm really struggling here to understand what you're asking.

If so in the case of verbs "guess, suppose, believe, think, imagine", they don't have Do/Does questions with indirect Wh-questions as object.
Am I right?

I'm not sure what you mean but I think you're not right, no.

Did you guess what it was? :tick:
Yes, I did.

The above sentence is correct. Is that an example of what you mean by "indirect Wh-questions as object"?

Hi I am sorry fore being late.

If a speaker wants to ask for an answer Yes or No from a listener, Can I say the following?

Do/Does/Did + Subject + "guess, suppose, believe, think, imagine" + indirect Wh-questions as object ?

1) Did you guess who he was?
Yes, I did.

2) Did you suppose who he was?
Yes, I did.

3) Did you believe who he was?
Yes, I did

5) Did you think who he was?
Yes, I did.

6) Did you imagine who he was?
Yes, I did.

7) Did you "guess/suppose/believe/think/imagine" what could be a problem?
Yes, I did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

To be honest, the reason why I am asking you is that many Korean bloggers, posters for studying English or even some Korean English teachers say <
Do/Does/Did + Subject + "guess, suppose, believe, think, imagine" + indirect Wh-questions as object> are not used.

In my personal opinion, I have looked up the above sentence patterns by Googling or websites finding example sentences but there are no results....

Last edited:
1) Did you guess who he was? :tick:
Yes, I did.

2) Did you suppose who he was? :cross:
Yes, I did.

3) Did you believe who he was? :tick:
Yes, I did

5) Did you think who he was? :cross:
Yes, I did.

6) Did you imagine who he was?
Hmmm, it's possible but only if you mean "Could you have ever imagined that he would be who he turned out to be?" I can't imagine a native speaker ever using it.
Yes, I did.

See above. The ones with :cross: are not grammatical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back