Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I recalled from a while back "who "is for non-focus on person's identity. and "whom" is focus on asking person's identity. anyone heard similar? and i recently casually looked into this online and got a bunch of other info that's not related to this at all that...

Please edit your post using correct capitalisation and punctuation.

Your native language is English? Do you have trouble deciding when to use "he" or "him"? It's the same thing.

I recalled from a while back "who "is for non-focus on person's identity. and "whom" is focus on asking person's identity. anyone heard similar? and i recently casually looked into this online and got a bunch of other info that's not related to this at all that...

The reason you got a "bunch of other info" is what you recall above is completely false. The who/whom question has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything you've mentioned about identity.

Last edited:
newyear2012, click here and read many other threads on this topic.

helpful if there actual response to the question instead digressing from topic. not to be rude but just answer the question with adequate substance.

It would be helpful if there were actual responses to the question instead of digressing from topic. [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] I'm not trying to be rude but just answer the question with adequate substance.

Starting a sentence with "not to be rude but ..." and then being rude is somewhat bizarre.

This isn't a great start to your time on this forum, I'm afraid. As a native English speaker, you are expected to use correct written English at all times because learners will read your posts and assume they are correct. You were told in post #2 to edit your post to use correct punctuation and capitalisation. You didn't. I have had to make corrections to your post above too because you didn't write in complete sentences, omitting words.

You have been told that "who/whom" has nothing to do with identity.

Why don't you give us some example sentences in which you're having trouble deciding whether to use "who" or "whom" and we can see if we can give you some useful advice?

I recalled from a while back "who "is for non-focus on person's identity. and "whom" is focus on asking person's identity. anyone heard similar?

I haven't- traditionally, whom is used for the object case and who for the subject. Nowadays, many use who for both, and whom can mostly be found as the object of a preposition (To whom it may concern). I honestly have no idea what the person means about focus/non-focus, but it doesn't explain the difference and is wrong; if I ask Who told you that? I am clearly focusing on the identity of the person that gave you the information.

Starting a sentence with "not to be rude but ..." and then being rude is somewhat bizarre.

This isn't a great start to your time on this forum, I'm afraid. As a native English speaker, you are expected to use correct written English at all times because learners will read your posts and assume they are correct. You were told in post #2 to edit your post to use correct punctuation and capitalisation. You didn't. I have had to make corrections to your post above too because you didn't write in complete sentences, omitting words.

You have been told that "who/whom" has nothing to do with identity.

Why don't you give us some example sentences in which you're having trouble deciding whether to use "who" or "whom" and we can see if we can give you some useful advice?

Alright, I apologize for my carelessness on correctness. I'd not realized you need the posts to be examples of correctness. I usually write casually in trivial matters.

There is nothing trivial about teaching enthusiastic learners how to write correct English.

ESL students reading these threads expect native speakers to write in grammatically correct English, and so do the moderators.

It makes threads easier to read. Not everyone knows every abbreviation, etc, and many readers are not native speakers. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back