Why did the writer of the article use “waft”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is he letting balls in the goal and then waving at them?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My guess would be that waft is used figuratively here to represent the tiny breeze that his dismissive gesture would create. Substitution of the effect for the cause is a figure of speech that goes back to ancient Greek, but I can't recall the Greek word for it. It is a bit like "I dropped the stupid hammer on my toe." It isn't the hammer that is stupid.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I can tell, every time a goal is scored against Man Utd (and at the moment that's happening a lot!), Ronaldo does a sort of dismissive waft with this hand in the air, potentially directed at Solskjær. If someone did that to me, I would take it as a way of something like "Pfft. Again. This is rubbish" and the suggestion would be that it was somehow my fault.

Tarheel, he (Ronaldo) isn't letting in goals. He's not a goalkeeper - he's a striker (a forward).

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Look at the definition given by Cambridge, paying attention to the part I've bolded in brackets: to (cause to) move gently through the air

Ronaldo, as the 'causer' of the action, was dismissively waving his hand as you would if you were trying to get a bad smell to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.