Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was reading this forum rule and i came across this sentence:-
-Any harassment, inappropriate usage, advertising, etc will result in the person “being banned”. I have another one which i have taken from another source
-I am all in favour of all these posts “being posted” in A section rather than B”.
My question is why only "being+V3" is used because i have read in passive voice rules that we should use "is,am,are.. being+V3".Please explain to me when and where i can use "being+v3".
Thank you!!

"will result in" is always followed by either a noun or the -ing form of a verb.

It will result in death.
It will result in the person dying.

It will result in a ban.
It will result in the user being banned.

Eating too much will result in obesity.
Eating too much will result in the eater getting fat.

But in the second example "will result in" is not used however "being+v3" is used there.Is second example wrong?

***NOT a teacher***

As emsr2d2 mentioned, 'result in' can be followed by a NOUN or a NOMINALISED form, which can be the case with any other 'preposition'. So, you are 'in favour of SOMETHING/Verb+ing'.

Examples:

Parents being too strict can cause/lead to/result in their children feeling stressed all the time!
The emotional pressure at school may result in children experiencing a loss of intimacy with their teachers.

Last edited:
Examples:

Parents being too strict can cause/lead to/result in their children feeling stressed all the time!

Hello, Mehrgan.:)
The verb "cause" doesn't work in your example, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi, and thanks for the point you've made dear tzfujimino
. Actually, now I think it could possibly be, '...can cause the children TO feel stressed...'. But what if you consider the whole item as a noun phrase?

'...their children feeling stressed all the time...'

Hello, Merhgan.

Yes, it should be "... can cause their children to feel ..."

Well, as for your question, it would be equal to:

Parents being too strict can cause their children who are feeling stressed all the time.

It sounds strange to me.:cry:

Hello, Merhgan.

Yes, it should be "... can cause their children to feel ..."

Well, as for your question, it would be equal to:

Parents being too strict can cause their children who are feeling stressed all the time.

It sounds strange to me.:cry:

I have actually taken the 'apostrophe' away, as I've heard it's not necessary. So the following form is, indeed, what it should look like:

"Parents' being too strict can cause their children's feeling stressed all the time!

Indeed, I'm not sure if the sentence is natural, if correct, at all. But I think once I read that's a way of creating Nominalised structures, which tend to make sentences a bit complex (as this is why academic texts, say in IELTS texts 2 and 3, are hard to follow.)

I have actually taken the 'apostrophe' away, as I've heard it's not necessary. So the following form is, indeed, what it should look like:

"Parents' being too strict can cause their children's feeling stressed all the time!

I see.:)
I think your new version is grammatical.
However, it would be unnatural.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Rajan:

I have found some information that may interest you.

Two scholars give this sentence: "Your not being invited surprises me."

a. They explain that "being invited" is "a transitive verb form, passive voice, present tense."

1. Perhaps this accounts for the "being + banned / posted" in your two sentences.

a. By the way, I think that many people are more comfortable with the term "past participle" instead of the term "V3."

2. I have made up some sentences using "being invited" (Let's forget the "not.")

a. Your being invited to their wedding shows that they both love you.
b. I am very excited about your being invited to their wedding.
c. Your kindness to them over the years has resulted in your being invited to their wedding.

As you know, after prepositions (such as "about," "in," etc.) the verb needs to start with an -ing word. Many books prefer to use the term gerund for an -ing word that is used as a noun. For example, we could say: "I am very excited about your invitation [noun] to their wedding."

Those two scholars are Homer C. House and Susan Emolyn Harman, Descriptive English Grammar (1931 and 1950), published by Prentice-Hall, Inc.

Last edited:
There is no question that "being invited" is a gerund phrase. The sentence starts with a possessive adjective. That can only be used with a noun (gerund in this case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back