Why is semicolon used in the second sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
  • “Brackets are also used to distinguish parenthetical information that appears within a larger set of parentheses. (Informally, though, it is quite common to simply use a second set of parentheses.)”
  • “Brackets are also used to distinguish parenthetical information that appears within a larger set of parentheses. (Informally, though; it is quite common to simply use a second set of parentheses.)” I have read uses of semicolon in sentences, but i don't understand the meaning of second sentence. In fact, i did not notice that semicolon can be used after a simple word, as in when mentioning a synonym of a word next to it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a typo. It should be a comma, as it is in the first.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Informally, though, it is quite common to simply use a second set of parentheses.
In informal settings, it's common to use another set of parentheses.

Informally, though; it is quite common to simply use a second set of parentheses.
This is done informally. However, using another set of parentheses is common. This is not what the writer meant. As emsr2d2 said, the semicolon is an error.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
These are two examples used to show that using different punctuation can change meaning of a sentence. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/English-Punctuation.htm It is not said in the article that the use of semicolon is incorrect in the second sentence. Furthermore, i asked why semicolon is being used to write a synonym of a word next to it, for instance: despite the fact; although.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The semicolon in the second sentence is an error whether or not the article says it is. It's grammatical, but it makes the sentence illogical.

Semicolons are commonly used in definitions as in your final example.

Status
Not open for further replies.