Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I am sharing my opinion about why it is important to learn English. I think most of my sentences sound unnatural because I word them in the exact same way I use them in my own language.
I would be very grateful to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel like yourself, to feel confident while travelling/ during the travel. A/the Leaning process develops a memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination passing he can spend not so much time for this."

I think "memory" should be without the indefinite article. I tried to correct the last sentence by adding "there is no". "For this" should be changed into "on this". I am not sure whether is should be "a learning process" or "the leaning process" or zero article. "Not so much time" I think also sounds unnatural. Perhaps "he can spend less time on this".

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Since you already think they're unnatural because you've done a direct translation from Georgian, why don't you try to write them without directly translating them? That will give us a much better idea of your level of English!

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Since you already think they're unnatural because you've done a direct translation from Georgian, why don't you try to write them without directly translating them? That will give us a much better idea of your level of English!
I have just tried.
I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel confident while travelling. The Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination he can spend less time it.

Does it sound idiomatic? Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Version 1:
"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel like yourself, to feel confident while travelling/ during the travel. A/the Leaning process develops a memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination passing he can spend not so much time for this."
Version 2:
I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work.
It helps to feel confident while travelling. The Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and *there is no* deadline for the examination he can spend less time it.
In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2. You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!

Let's take this step by step. Let's concentrate just on the very first sentence.
1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it. Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.
2. What do you mean by "the general development of a person"? How does a language develop a person? Explain more, please.

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2.
Do you mean the things I changed are wrong? I mean the way I corrected them. Are they still wrong?
You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!
I thought the other parts were correct. :/

Let's take this step by step. Let's concentrate just on the very first sentence.
1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it.
Perhaps " A foreign language can be very useful when a person speaks or learns it.:
Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.

2. What do you mean by "the general development of a person"? How does a language develop a person? Explain more, please.
I mean the benefits it brings. You learn about a new culture and can even read books in the original language. It is a very different experience. Learning new words is a good practice and benefits the brain. I think I read an article about it.

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In version 1 above, I have marked in red the only things you changed in version 2. You removed a total of six words, and changed another three. That's not much of a re-write!

1. A foreign language can't be useful in its own right. It's no use to someone unless that person learns/speaks it. Try to incorporate that into the first couple of words.

"I think a foreign language is useful for the general development of a person. (After my explanation in post 5 does it now make sense?) A knowledge of languages expands opportunities in communication, education and work. It helps to feel confident while travelling. A Learning process develops memory. If a student doesn't have a specific purpose for the language learning and there is no deadline for the examination passing he can spend less time on it.

I removed "feel like yourself". Is it better now?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think what you want to say is:

I think learning a foreign language is useful for personal development.

You're an advanced learner. You are well past the time when you need to be comparing English to your first language.